The hospital is run by Gulab Devi Memorial Hospital Trust, founded by Lala Lajpat Rai in 1927 in the memory of his mother Smt. Gulab Devi. The hospital was first established in Lahore in 1934. After the partition of the country, the hospital was rehabilitated at Jalandhar in 1951 and was formally opened by the Union Health Minister Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur in 1955. It has 271 beds. To start with, it was only a T.B. hospital. Now it has five disciplines, viz. T.B., Medicines, Surgery, E.N.T. and Dental. The facilities provided by the hospital include pathological laboratories, well equipped operation theater, E.N.T. surgery unit X-Ray, E.C.G., Cardinal Monitor and defibrillator and bronchoscope. The hospital is manned by 5 Senior Medical Officers, 4 Medical Officers, 1 Pathologist, 1 Dental Surgeon, 3 Medical Officers, 1 Nursing Superintendent, 11 Staff Nurses, 13 A.N.Ms., 1 Pharmacists, 2 X-Ray Technicians and 3 Laboratory Technicians.