If you are planning to follow a holistic approach towards your skin care, the first step in Ayurveda is to find your ayurvedic skin type. The types of skin in Ayurveda are:
• Vata skin
• Pitta Skin
• Kapha Skin and
• Combination skin
Vata Skin: It is generally cool to touch and gets dehydrated easily. Generally, people falling under this type will have dry skin and they are vulnerable to windy and dry climate. When out of balance, this type of skin will become flaky and rough and people falling under this category get aged look early.
Pitta skin: This type will have medium thickness, warm, soft, sensitive and fair. People with skin type will have less tolerance to hot foods and fierceness of temperature. People under this category are more prone to moles and freckles. When out of balance, they get sunspots, acne, rosacea and rashes.
Kapha skin: This type of skin will have all the qualities of earth and water. They are more tolerant to sun, cool, soft, pale, thick and oily. These people age slower and will form lesser wrinkles. Some of the problems associated with this type are excessive oil, dull complexion, higher water retention, pimples, blackheads and enlarged pores.
Combination: If a person has vata and pitta skin, the skin will be both dry and sensitive and if it is a combination of kapha and pitta, it will be oily and sensitive. This type of combination skin will be generally dry, but will have some oily spots.
Suggestions for Vata skin care:
• These people can include more of leafy vegetables to their diet.
• For hydration to internal organs, they can consume lot of tepid water every day.
• Eating fruit juices can help as they cleanse the body and will provide the required hydration as well.
• Following a regular routine in sleeping, eating and in every other activities in life can be of great help to people falling under this skin type according to ayurveda.
Suggestions for pitta skin care:
• These people should stay away from harsh cosmetics as they can cause damage to the skin
• It is better to avoid excessive-deep fried foods and oily foods
• A lot of fruit, particularly juicy fruits can be consumed and having some rose petal jam in cold milk every day can help.
Suggestions for kapha skin care:
• These people should exercise every day to improve blood circulation
• Cleansing of body from within can be achieved by consuming organic fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
• Skin cleansing should be done two times a day and once in a week exfoliation with mud-mask can help.
Combination skin care suggestions:
In ayurveda, it is suggested that caring for combination skin should take into account seasonal and environmental factors. For instance, individuals with vata-pitta skin should follow the recommendations given for pitta skin during summer and vata skin during winter. In the case of kapha-pitta, they should follow pitta suggestions in summer and kapha suggestions in winter.