Haemorrhage is the other name for Epistaxis and this can be commonly called as bleeding from the nose. It is a condition that is associated with increased body heat and it is generally associated with high blood pressure and some other common diseases caused due to increase in the heat level. Generally, many people suffer from this condition during hot summer months.
Factors causing Haemorrhage:
Some of the factors contributing towards this condition include:
• Excessive body heat
• Consumption of alcohol, spicy and hot food
• It can also be caused due to nose trauma
• Insertion of sharp objects in the nose
• Irritants in the air
• Strongly blowing the nostril
Apart from these factors, other diseases like hypertension, rhinitis, sinusitis, tumors in the nose, alcoholism, liver problems, heart diseases and alcoholism can also contribute towards bleeding nose. In addition, Vitamin C and K deficiency, leukaemia and platelets deficiency can also lead to this condition.
Ayurvedic view of Haemorrhage:
Ayurveda states that bleeding in the nose is caused due to increase in the level of pitta dosha. When pitta aggravates, it will mix up with blood tissue to cause bloody nose. Ayurvedic experts state that this can either arise as a disease by itself or it can also be a symptom of some other condition as well. When it comes to treatment under this alternative system of medicine, ayurvedic doctors generally prescribe medicines that contain haemostatic herbs both for internal usage and for external application.
Diet and lifestyle advice from ayurvedic experts:
• Ayurvedic specialists state that people with aggravated pitta dosha frequently face this condition and so they are recommended to avoid spicy and hot foods and spices like pepper
• They should also restrict themselves from the excessive consumption of caffeinated drinks and alcohol
• They should avoid walking and playing under the hot sun and it is also better to avoid humid places and environments with high temperature
• It is also recommended to avoid keeping awake at nights
• It is better to take amla and gulkand jam on a regular basis
• It is suggested to drink sufficient quantity of grapes, coconut water, milk and normal water.
Home remedies for the condition:
• Crushed ice into a plastic zipper-type bag can be taken and it should be covered with a towel. Even a bag of frozen vegetables can help. This compress should be placed on the bridge of the nose until the bleeding stops completely.
• A cotton ball or a cloth can be taken and it can be drenched with white vinegar. This should be plugged into the nostrils that are bleeding. Vinegar is something that can help in sealing the walls of the blood vessel.
• To stop bleeding of nose, fresh amla paste can be applied on the center of the skull or head. Even, amla extract can be consumed with water internally as well.
• Bleeding in the nose can be brought down by keeping the head in an elevated position.