A peptic ulcer is an acute or chronic duodenal ulcer occurring in a portion of the digestive tract that is accessible to gastric secretion. An active peptic ulcer does not occur in the absence of acid peptic gastric secretions. The decreased tissue resistance and hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid also responsible for the ulceration.
Causes of ulcer:
The most ulcers develop as a result of infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). Some other factors that aggravate the ulcer :-
1. Smoking. Smoking increases the chances of getting an ulcer and contributes to ulcer recurrence.
2. Caffeine: Caffeine stimulates acid secretion in the stomach, which can aggravate the pain of an existing ulcer.
3. Stress: emotional stress is longer cause of ulcers, people with ulcers often that emotional stress increases ulcer pain.
4. (NSAIDs) drugs (such as aspirin, ibuprofen) make the harmful effects to the stomach by acid and pepsin.
5. Constant tension and worry, sorrow.
6. Extra dry/fat free dietetic recipes.
7. Frequent consumption of cold and stored food consumption.
8. Frequent consumption the fermented materials like alcohol.
9. Irregular eating habit.
10. Late night working.
11. Over exertion.
12. Severe injuries leading to stress.
Duodenal ulcer symptoms:
1. The symptoms of duodenal ulcer are felt mostly before a meal. This happens when excess acid produced by hunger stimulation, is passed into the duodenum.
2. Most noticeable signs of a duodenal ulcer is Heartburn/GERD.
3. Burning sensation in epigastrium.
Home Remedies for Peptic Ulcers:
1. Fenugreek leaves can heal ulcer. Boil 1 cup of fenugreek leaves and add few salt to it. Drink this twice a day.
2. Take patol patra juice 20 + ½ cup water, take empty stomach.
3. Bananas contain antibacterial substance that helps slow down the growth of ulcer in the stomach. Take banana every day after your breakfast.
4. Honey has natural healing properties that treating stomach ulcer.
5. A clove of garlic is highly recommended for stomach ulcer. Eat 2- 3 cloves of garlic a day during your daily meals to ease the inflammation in the stomach.
6. Amla murabba with milk in morning daily.
7. Drink souf water with misri, it is very beneficial.
8. Drink Coconut oil, it is good for treating various disturbances in the stomach. It has anti-bacterial property.
Some natural ways to prevent and treat ulcers in stomach:
1. Avoid spicy and fatty foods as these generally irritate the stomach lining and take peptic ulcer diet.
2. Reduce milk consumption as it actually stimulates stomach acid secretion.
3. Stop smoking and alcohol drink.
4. Avoid over-the-counter pain relievers such as aspirin and NSAIDS as these irritate the stomach lining and may also prevent a bleeding ulcer from healing.
5. Do not take excessive Iron supplements and this can also irritate the stomach lining.
6. Drinking an infusion of the herb licorice is said to stimulate mucus secretion by the stomach. This should not be taken for more than a few days.
7. Reducing stress and anxiety also helps reduce symptoms. Meditation, yoga, music therapy, acupuncture, massages, acupressure are all useful remedies in reducing stress.
8. Alsarex is a herbal ayurvedic formulation which is excellent for relieving symptoms and promoting the healing of peptic ulcers.
Duodenal ulcer treatment:
1. Amalaki ghrita and shatavari ghrita and Sukumara ghrita is the medicine of choice for this disease. This should be given two tsp on an empty stomach mixed with a cup of warm milk.
2. Shakha Bhasma or Maha Shankha Vati 2 tab twice a day after meal.
3. Avipattikar Churna 1 tsp before meal twice a day.
4. Kamdudha ras – 125 mg.
5. Mukta sukti pisti -125 mg.
6. Sut shekar ras-1 gm + praval panchamrit – 2.5 mg. divide in 20 dose , 1 twice a day with fresh haldi juice.
7. Kumariasav- 4 tsp+ ½ cup of water ,take twice a day after meal.
Dr. Amit Adhana