Ques : 1 What is Acne Vulgaris?
Ans : Acne vulgaris or blackheads is a conditions of excessive sebum secretion which cannot escape out from the hair follicles leading to different grades of inflammation.
Ques : 2 What are the causes and pathology of Acne vulgaris?
Ans : The disease occurs in younger age and both sexes.
The production of the hormone testosterone, in men as well as women (although it is greater in men), causes the sebaceous glands to grow, producing more oil, Meanwhile, skin cells near the pore produce keratin. When these two substances mix, the greasy oil and keratin produce an amalgamation, which blocks the pore causing a blackhead. When pore is plugged up due to this substance, the bacteria begins to accumulate and grows. This inflames the area and forms a pimple (acne).
It has two important characteristic viz. seborrhea and hyperkeratosis of the pilo-sebaceous ostia. A keratinous cum sebaceous plug is formed in the follicular neck resulting in narrowing and sometimes blocking of the canal.
Ques : 3 What are the clinical features of Acne?
Ans : Skin is very much greasy due to excessive sebum secretion. Comedones are seen on hair follicles. Sometimes white head comedones are seen when there is absence of keratin plugs. When there is inflammation, the hair follicles become red, swollen and tender and when inflammation subsides there may be atrophy. It is a chronic disease because new papules and pustules continuously appear. The process may last several years. The black-heads appearing at the time of sexual maturation and disappear in most patients by 20 to 25 years of age. It is localized on the face, back of the neck.
Ques : 4 Which are the treatment methods ?
Ans : Good food, fresh air and sun light are also beneficial. The treatment on the whole is unsatisfactory because there is no specific therapy. The face should be washed with soap and water about 4 to 5 times a days so that the greasy materials are washed off. Zinc sulphide lotion B.P.C. can be applied locally.
Ques : 5 Which medicines are advisable?
Ans : Arnica, Hepar sulph, Asteria Rubens are the common medicines.
Ques : 6 Is Acne related to oily skin?
Ans : Acne is a small pocket of infected oil in the skin, produced by the sebaceous glands located on the skin, which open into hair follicles. When this oil is trapped and infected it produces pimples know as acne.
Ques : 7 What are the symptoms of acne ?
Ans : It generally occurs on the face and back and can become abscesses or deep infected lesions in the skin.
Ques: 8 Which are the common suggestions for Acne?
Ans : The common suggestions for Acne are :-
- Take Beta-carotene (15 mg/day), Vitamin – E (800-IU, 400-IU every 12 hours), Vitamin – C (180mg) & Vitamin – D (800-IU) daily.
- It is advisable to use Polishing Scru of world periodically, which enhances the natural exfoliating process. Ensure the product is dermatologically and allergy tested and contains Ginseng and Chamomile.
- Take suggested food supplements until the infection diminishes. (Acne requires a treatment lasting about 4 to 6 months)
- Eat more fibrous diet and avoid fast foods.
- In addition it is suggested:
- To eliminated as much as sugar, flour fried foods, butter, chocolate and whole milk as far as possible.
- Increase the consumption of grain fiber, as well as yogurt, which cleans the stomach and intestine (Shankh prakshalan – Under the Guidance of a trained parson).
- Avoid the use of greasy creams or cosmetics of cheaper brands, instead use high quality premium products to protect your skin.
- Avoid oral contraceptive and drugs containing bromides or iodides. Take minerals daily like chromium (50 a 200 mcg), selenium (100 mg), zinc (30 to 50 mg-day). This is very important since it helps in the activity of hormones.
- Avoid soaps that contain sulfides, iodine, bromides of oil instead use face wash.
- Wash your face with a balanced pH liquid soap or with Face Wash of a world class premium brand-every day, morning and night to remover the oil. (Dry your face with a paper towel, so the skin is not contaminated agins).
- Apply Cleanser, toner and moisturizer (CTM) of a world class premium brand for dep cleansing & toning effect, which will remove dirt & oil from the deeper layers of skin and improve the texture.