Ques : 1 What is Dengue fever?
Ans : It is an acute (viral infective fever starting in epidemics characterised by fever with severe bodily pain. Slow pulse, leucopenia, lymphadenitis and often a skin eruption.
Ques : 2 How is Dengue fever caused?
Ans : Caused by Virus. Transmitted to man by female mosquito Aedes Aegypti. Incubation period usually 5-10 days.
Ques : 3 What are the symptoms and of signs Dengue fever?
Ans : Symptoms –
- Nausea, vomiting, anorexia, constipation, prostration, insomnia and depression.
- Painful movement of eyes, photophobia, conjunctival injection and lachrymation.
- Alteration of taste and smell.
- Severe frontal headache, pain behind eye-balls and intense generalized aches.
- Severe pain in the long bones.
- High fever with chill. Rigor and sweating with delirium.
- Onset is acute.
- Pulse shows relative bradycardia.
- After the temperature has fallen, depression and prostration often persist.
- Generalised lymphadenopathy may be present.
- An afebrile interval lasting 24-28 hrs (3rd day), all symtoms subside temporarily, followed by recurrence of symptoms (4th or 5th day) with saddle back fever and a rash may appear on the dorsum of hands and feet and spreads up the arms and thight to the truck.
- Raised temperature.
Ques : 4 What is the course, complication and investigation related to Dengue fever?
And : Course : Usually 6 to 10 days.
Complications : (a) Bronchopneumonia. (b) Herpes labialis. (c) Rarely jaundice. (d) Otitis media. (e) Hemorrhages – under skin or mucous membrane.
Investigations : (a) Complement fixation test may be positive. (b) Leukopenia with toxic granulation of polymorphs. (c) Oliguria and albumiuria.
Differential Diagnosis : (a) Rheumatic fever. (b) Sub-tertian malaria. (c) Enteric fever. (d) Secondary syphilis. (e) Influenza. (f) Measles.
Ques : 5 Describe the prognosis of Dengue fever?
Ans : Prognosis : In a uncomplicated case the prognosis is good. In case of severe epidemics, the prognosis may be unfavourable. Because of the advanced age and diseases of the brain, heart and kidneys.
Ques : 6 What is the treatment of dengue fever?
Ans : Treatment :
- Symptomatic treatment.
- Control the breeding of mosquito.
- Pain is relieved by rest in bed and sodium salicylate (10 gr.) or acetylsaicyl. Acid (5 gr.) 3 or 4 times daily.
- During convalescence, Vit. B Complex and Vit. C orally and a charge of air are indicated.
- Homoeopathic & Biochemic remedies (as indicated in fever.)
Ques : 7 Which Homoeopathic medicines work as preventive for the treatment of dengue fever?
Ans : Eupatorium and Rhus Tox are the preventive medicines.