Ques : 1 What is Eczema?
Ans : It is a specific type of (itching) allergic manifestation or antigen- antibody reaction marked by superficial inflammatory oedema of the epidermis associated with vesicle formation.
Ques : 2 What are the types of Eczema and what are its causes?
Ans : (1) Infantile eczema. (2) Autolytic eczema. (3) Endogenous eczema. (4) Nummular eczema. (5) Infectious eczematous dermatitis.
Eczema usually occurs in infancy, puberty and menopause. But no age is exempt. There is some familial predisposition which may be hereditary. Extreme heat, cold any dampness are also predisposing factors. Exciting factors are physical irritants which are otherwise used in routine.
Ques : 3 What are the clinical features of Eczema?
Ans : A slight or continuous contact of the prone individual produces erythema which develops into papules. The papules grow in size and number over a particular area, sometimes multiple areas, which becomes oedematous. The papules develop into vesicles. There is oozing, crust formation and finally pustules scale off without leaving any scars. Recurrence is very common.
The special varieties of eczema are contact eczema which develops on contact with chemical irritants, napkin rash due to contact with urine, faeces and infantile eczema due to protein hypersensitivity.
Ques : 4 What is the treatment of Eczema?
Ans : Treatment :
- Sometimes a vegetarian diet is helpful to cure the disease.
- Antihistaminic druges may also be used.
- Change of climate is beneficial. (6) Homoeopathic Remedies –
- 5 % calamine lotion locally ; supplemented with the application of an antibiotic steroid combination e.g. Kenalog S cream.
- Improvement of general health.
Ques : 5 Which Homoeopathic medicines can be useful for Eczema?
Ans : (1) HEPAR SULPHUR – Eczema, spreading by means of new pimples appearing just beyond the old parts. Moist eruption, burning and itching after scratching sore to touch. Unhealthy skin every little injury suppurates.
(2) ARSENICUM – Dry scaly eruptions, with nightly burning or terrible inching. Eruption on face or extremities, with corrosive discharge.
(3) GRAPHITES- Eczema, with profuse serous exudations, in blondes inclined to obesity. The eruption oozes a glutinous sticky fluid. Rawness in bend of limbs, neck and behind the ears. Very dry skin never perspires.
(4) SULPHUR- Scrofulous subjects, Dry, Scaly, unhealthy skin. Eruption on head and behind ears, dry offensive, scabby, with cracks, easily bleeding, itching with soreness after scratching. After suppressed eruptions. or the drying up of old sores.
Ques : 6 Which Biochemic medicines can be useful for Eczema?
Ans : Biochemic remedies.
- FLUOR. – Due to venous hyperaemia, worse in damp weather, skin. Eczema of anus consequent to haemorrhoids.
- KALI PHOS. – Greasy scabs with offensive smell ; secretions of the skin, irritating, causing soreness of the parts, itching, with crawling sensation, chafed skin, blooby, watery secretions, excessive, offensive perspirations.
- NATRUM MUR. – White scales, eruptions with watery contents from eating too much salt.
- NATRUM PHOS. – Secretions creamy, honey-coloured, golden-yellow scabs. Crusta lacteal about ears of little children.