Ques. 1 Why does hair gray? What are its symptoms?
Ans Gray hair grows in many people once they reach certain age or premature graying of hair. It can however make you look older than you really are.
Interesting note: Hair can tell us a lot about nutrition, to the extent that you can know what a person generally was and what he ate or drank even hundreds of year after his death. Using advanced technology, forensic doctors utilize hair analysis to help discover if a person died of poisoning.
Symptoms: Gray hair on the body or head that begins to show little by little as a person ages. However, untimely graying of hair is a cause of concern.
Reasons for grey hair: Hair is made mostly of proteins. Within these proteins there is a substance that is responsible for the color or hair. It is called melanin. Melanin in dark hair is the same as that in blonde hair. It is the amount of melanin present that accounts for the different colors of hair. Dark hair has more melanin than lightly colored hair. With age and time the amount of melanin present in hair diminishes, giving way to the appearance of gray hair. When there is no melanin, the hair becomes white. Some time stress also causes of hair gray.
Suggestions: Some substances exist that, when combined with the proteins in the hair, can produce the same results that melanin produces (according to literature of the Combe Laboratories International, Ltd.).
However, the body can slow the effects of hair loss and graying if it has adequate nutrients. These nutrients can be absorbed directly by the hair, or through taking nutritional supplements. It is recommended that you take multivitamin in addition to taking multi-minerals and proteins.
Ques. 2 Which nutrients should be taken when hair starts graying ?
Ans. We are providing some details about nutrients which help in how to prevent grey hair.
The nutrients that your hair requires to shine and grow well are:
- Inositol & Choline: These elements help in hair growth according to nutritionist – Adele Davis.
- Iodine : helps to keep the hair from falling out.
- Niacin- Nicotinic acid helps in the circulation of the blood.
- Calcium pantothenate, pantothenic acid or vitamin-5 : This element helps hair to assimilate and utilize copper.
- Copper: Lack of copper produces brittle, dry hair.
- PABA: Para-amino benzoic acid helps to maintain color and to keep the hair soft.
- Vitamin B-12 : Helps hair growth.
- Zinc – Necessary to keep the hair strong.
- Iron & Manganese : Help hair growth and helps keep hair well-nourished through good blood circulation in the body.
- Cysteine & Glycerin : is also important for the hair growth.
- Protenins & Amino acids: hair is made up of 98% proteins, however if the vitamins and minerals mentioned are not present, the body can not take advantage of these proteins.
Ques. 3 Which Homeopathic medicines are advisable for gray hair?
Ans. Lycopodium and Acid Phos work good for premature hair graying. Wiesbaden is good for this purpose as well.
Prepared by : Dr Pooja, Bhopal.