Ques. 1 What is Hysteria?
Ans. Hysteria is a condition of psychic disturbance appearing in persons of nervous instability, when subjected to considerable emotional strain or physical injuries.
Most probable causes are- (i) Mostly females, young & aged. (ii) Heredity-family history is often present. (iii) Characteristic hysteric type of personality is usually present. (iv) Mental stress. (v) Constitutional factors.
Clinical Features :
- Motor symptoms- Paralysis, spasms and tremor. Hysterical fits occur when there is an audience and consist of thrashing about the limbs with the eyes firmly shut.
- Other symptoms- Compensation neurosis, engagement neurosis, anorexia nervosa, breathlessness, praecordial pain, blepharospasm, mutism, aphonia, explosive utterances or stammering may be present.
- Sensory symptoms- Blindness or deafness, anaesthesia and pain, deficiency of taste or smell, abdominal pain, vomiting, may be present.
- Mental symptoms- Loss of memory, delirious, hysterical pseudodementia, stupor, hysterical excitements, hysterical anxiety and depressive states. There may be ceaseless loughing of crying.
The characteristic points are, loss of response to electrical stilmuli and aberration of tendon. Prognosis: It depends on the personality, environment & treatment adopted.
Ques. 2 What is the treatment of Hysteria?
- Underlying cause should also be treated.
- Supportive, interpretative or other methods of pshychotherapy may be employed.
- Environmental factors should be readjusted as far as possible.
- Gradually patient is to rehabilitated into normal activities.
- Homoeopathic remedies.
- The treatment of hysteria is mainly psychological.
- Relief of focal symptoms may be given by suggestion, persuation or by re-education
- Drug treatment: This has probably no role except when depression or anxiety neurosis play some part in the background.
Ques. 3 Which Homoeopathic medicines are useful?
Ans. The Homoeopathic medicines are useful are :-
- IGNATIA: Full of grief. Choking sensation from stomach up to throat. Single starting of limbs when going to sleep. Sadness and sighing with an empty feeling at pit of stomach.
- LACHESIS- Suicidal mood tired of life. Sensation of a lump in throat; on swallowing it descends, but returns at once. Cannot bear throat to be touched, seems as if it would suffocate her. Greatly distressed after sleeping. Talks, sings, whistles & makes odd motions.
- HYOSCYAMUS- Jerking and twitching to muscles during spasms. Disposed to uncover herself and go naked, Constriction of throat with impeded deglutition. She indulges in much silly laughter and many foolish actions.
- AURUM: Alternately peevish and cheerful. Hysterical spasms, with alternate laughter and crying. Great nervous weakness. Suicidal mood, with longing for death, Full of fear, does in remakes her anxious.
Ques. 4 Which Biochemic Remedies are useful?
Ans. Biochemic remedies-
- KALI PHOS- Hysterical fits of laughter and crying. Yawning and spasms. With unconsciousness and low muttering delirium. Hysteria in females, nervous attacks from sudden or intense emotions, or from smothering passion in highly nervous and excitable.
- NATRUM MUR- All symptoms relieved as seen as she gets into a perspiration. Hysterical spasms. Somnambulism. Great sadness, fears, much mucous in urine.
Ques. 5 What is Dementia?
Ans. It is a condition of organic loss of intellectual function.
- Atrophy of brain as in senile dementia.
- Endocrinopathy; hypothyroidism.
- Prolonged hypoglycaemia.
- Cerabrovascular diseases.
- Inflammatory diseases of brain (GPI).
- Huntington’s chorea.
- Defielency diseases, viz, pernicious anaemia, pellagra etc.
- Space occupying lesion in the brain.
- AIDS encephalopathy etc.
- Head injury.
- Post epileptic dementia.
Ques. 6 What are the clinical features of Dementia?
Ans. Clinical Features :
- May be confusion and disorientation.
- Emotional unstability.
- Paranoid delusion and hallucinations are present.
- Personality is changed.
- Change of mood.
- Memory is defective.
- Questions are not answered or answered very slowly.