Ques. 1 What is Obesity?
Ans. We can define obesity in short, The problem of gaining weight due to various problems inside the body genetic or hormonal is called obesity.
Obesity may be defined as a form of malnutrition characterized by the presence of an abnormally great amount of neutral fat in the fat storage depots of the body and gives rise to much ill-health. Any person, who is more than 10% above the ‘standard weight’ for-people of same age, sex, height and race, is considered to be an obese.
Ques. 2 What are the causes of Obesity?
Ans. The causes of obesity are :-
- Family history may be positive in some cases/ Genetic Causes.
- It is common amongst the rich in our country who consume lots of protein, fat and carbohydrate in their diet.
- During pregnancy or obesity in pregnancy, a woman may develop adiposity increasing the body weight to about 4 kilograms to 5 kilograms and this may go on increasing in subsequent pregnancies.
- Exogenous cause – Over-eating, sedenatary life.
- Endogenous cause – (a) Simple hypogonadal obesity; (b) Adreno-genital-associated with adrenal tumours; (c) Hypothyroid-usually following thyroidectory; (d) Pluriglandular obesity. (e) Pituitary – Frohlich’s syndrome; (f) Hypothalamus – Laurence-Moon—Biedl syndrome.
- Loss of balance of the normal hormones like estrogen and progesterone.
- Intake of excess starchy food.
- Thyroid gland problems or the misbalance of T3, T4 and TSH hormones.
- Misbalance of salt – water ratio of the body.
Ques. 3 What are the clinical features of Obesity?
Ans. The clinical features of Obesity are :-
Ques. 4 What are the complications of obesity ?
Ans. The Complications of obesity are :-
Life Expectancy: This is considerably lowered in obese people in comparison to a non obese people of same age group.
Ques. 5 What are the problems that an obese patient faces?
Ans. Due to deposition of flesh (adipose tissue), the body looks plump, feels heavy, muscles ache and heart disease risk arises.
Ques. 6 Which diseases may arise due to obesity problem?
Ans. Heart or coronary problems arise, blood- pressure, muscle pain are some of the other problems.
Ques. 7 What precautions should be taken in case of obesity?
Ans. Saturated fats like ghee should be avoided. Alcohol, maida rice should be used minimum. Vegetable, fruit and water intake must be increased. Fast can be done, Hard physical work should be done.
Ques. 8 Which medicines in Homeopathy work well for obesity?
Ans. The common Homoeo-medicines are phyto B, fucus V. But Constitution of the patient and the cause of the disease must be noted before prescribing any medicine that is why no medicine should be taken without the advice of the physician.
Prepared by : Dr Pooja, Bhopal.