Heartburn (or reflux ) is incredible common. Nearly everybody has it at sometime. It is a feeling of burning, pain and discomfort rising from lower abdomen to chest and then neck.
Causes of heartburn:
Heart burn is due to the stomach acid rising up into the esophagus, where it can cause burning pain and inflammation.
Natural cure for heartburn:
Making some lifestyle changes, using herbs and avoiding troublesome food and chemicals (alcohol, high fat food cigarette smoking, mint, chocolate, onion and caffeine) have been proven very effective for heart burn.
Cure heart burn with Herbal remedy:
1. Liquorice (glycyrrhiza glabra)
Medicinal Studies of this plant says that liquorices accelerate the healing of intestinal ulcer. It is very soothing to mucous membrane due to its anti-inflammatory properties. To use liquorices for heartburn or reflux, choose a special kind of liquorice called DGL(deglycyrrhizinated) liquorice.
Typical doses: drink 1 cup of tea after meal as needed (steeped 1 to 2 teaspoon of dried, chopped root in ¼ liter of hot water for 10-15 minutes) or 1 to 2 tab of DGL liquorices, chewed thoroughly after meal or as needed up to 8 tab per day.
2. Aloe (aloe vera)
Aloe gel contains large sugar molecules called mucopolysaccharides and this special sugars have property to help heal burn, ulcer and inflamed intestinal walls
Typical dosages: ¼ to ½ teaspoon in 4 tablespoon of water just after meal or any times symptoms occurs. Increases to 1 or more teaspoon if necessary.
3. Cabbage (brassica oleracea)
Cabbage juice is not just a folk remedy – a medical study has shown that regular consumption can heal stomach ulcers. The active ingredient is an amino acid called l-glutamine, which appears o work by nourishing cell lining the esophagus and stomach so they repair themselves.
Typical dosages: 120-225 milliliters of juice after meals.
4. Calendula (calendula officinaleis)
A time-honored remedy for wounds, mouth sores, ulcer and gastritis, calendula is so gentle it is used in children for upset stomach. It’s astringent and anti inflammatory properties makes it popular useful for treating heartburn and reflux.
Typical doses: 1 to 2 cup of tea as needed (steep 1 to 2 teaspoon of dried flower in 225 to 450 milliliters of hot water for 10-15 min)
5. Some fruits can also help heartburn
- Apple : The old saying that a apple in a day keeps …….. Could be more than a saying if u you have acid problems. Pectin is a fiber present in apple this fiber is use to promote relief from acid problem.
- Pineapple : Pineapple is another tasty way to beat heartburn. Though it’s fairly high in sugar, pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain that helps break down protein.
If you are prone to occasional indigestion, try nibbling a little pineapple before a meal. You may find you have heartburn trouble less often.
Along with these herbal remedy there are some changes need to be done in day today activates to prevent heart burn. So here are some points which help in keeping the stomach acid where it belongs.
- Stick to more frequent meals.
- Eat slowly, eat earlier
- Walk after taking your meal.
- Cut back on saturated fats especially deep fried foods and alcohol, coffee, tea, white sugar and unrefined carbohydrates.
- Try elevating the head of your bed 15 to 23 cm. this slant may prevent acid reflux during sleep.
- Just before bedtime take heavy meal
- Relax and lie down for a nap after eating
- Stay away from fennel, lemon balm, peppermint and spearmint-member of a group of herbs called carminative, which relax the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Eat spicy foods, onion and acidic juices such as citrus or tomato.
- Do not use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs unless you absolutely need them because these drugs are unhealthy for esophageal lining.
So as u can see, there are many way to beat- or avoid- heartburn. So, the next time heartburn or acid backup strikes don’t panic. You don’t have to rush to the doctor. With these simple inexpensive remedies, relief may be as close as your kitchen cabinet.