Blood makes up 8% of the human body weight. It consist off
- Red blood cells(erythrocytes),
- White blood cell(leucocytes)
- And Plasma.
We can’t think of human body without this blood as it performs three main functions:
- And protection
Sign and symptoms:
If you are feeling weak, fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, headaches, pale skin, brittle nails, rapid heartbeat, lethargy and poor appetite. Then you must be suffering from low blood count to rule out this you need to do an investigation-complete blood count.
How to increase this blood count:
1. Iron-Rich Foods: Iron is an essential element in hemoglobin production and its deficiency can easily cause low blood count.
- Foods rich in iron are lentils, green leafy vegetables, red meat, and organ meat such as liver, beans, dried prunes, egg yolk, spinach, almonds, dates, almonds, oysters and asparagus.
- Iron capsules are easily available in market (50-100 mg per day).
2. Add copper to your diet: Copper is an essential mineral for blood composition. You can find this mineral in poultry meats, shellfish, liver, whole grains, chocolate, beans, cherries and nuts. Its supplements are also available (900mcg tablet).
3. Eat Vitamin C and A: These both vitamins support the production and development of blood cells. And Vitamin C not only increases the blood production but also help in absorption of iron.
- Citrus food and some vegetables are good sources of vitamin C like papaya, lemon, bell peppers, oranges, broccoli, grapefruit, strawberries, tomatoes and spinach.
- Vitamin A rich food- Sweet potatoes, apricots, dark green leafy vegetables, carrots, sweet red peppers , apricots, watermelon, plum, grapefruit and c melons.
4. Vitamin B9/folic acid: Folic acid plays an important role in production of blood cells.
- You can find folic acid in Cereals, rice, sprouts, bread, dark green leafy vegetables, peas, lentils, beans and nuts contain high amounts of folic acid. Its supplements are also available in market.
5. Vitamin B-12: Vitamin B-12 is a B-complex vitamin that is important production of red blood cells in the bone marrow. Vitamin B-12 is naturally found in a wide variety of animal foods and is added to some fortified foods. Sources of vitamin B-12 include fish, nutritional yeasts red meat, dairy products, eggs, beef liver milk, fortified breakfast cereals.
6. Get your daily exercise: Exercise, yoga and morning walk has an important role in red blood cell production. It can help you both physically and mentally. It keeps you healthy and boost up your immunity.
- 45 min morning walk, yoga , jogging, running, and swimming are best, though all exercise is good.
- Try to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Chandraprabha vati
- Triphala guggul
- Amalki rasayan
- Spirulina capsules
- Punarnava mandur
- Shilajit capsules
- Navayas lauh
- Kumara asav
Prepared by : Dr Shivani Amola