The count of serious illness is escalating day after day nowadays, thereby inviting the burden of expensive treatments that too on people, who cannot make such huge expenses all of a sudden. To combat this issue, it becomes important that an individual should protect himself/herself with a critical illness cover that can meet the large medical costs. Even this coverage, in addition to meeting the huge medical costs that arise all of a sudden, it will also provide a lump sum compensation for meeting even the day-to-day expenses of individuals without forcing the ill individual to run a fanatical race to arrange for money. In short, this coverage will protect the income earner of the family to bear the unexpected financial burden.
When talking about the benefits associated with serious illness coverage, here are certain points of interest to know:
• The best policy will provide the insured a lump sum amount as benefit on diagnosis of a pre-specified critical illness for compensation of financial hardships and loses that is caused out of the sudden disease.
• This policy will generally cover the cost of care and treatment and it will also help in recuperation, thereby helping individuals to lead to life that is similar to the lifestyle earlier enjoyed by the individual before diagnosing the condition.
• In addition, the insured can also get a tax benefit under section 80D on the investment made on such a policy.
• For 10 years of continuous gathering of claim-free years, the sum insured with increase by about 5% when it comes to maximum accumulation.
Generally, many of us get a doubt about the illnesses, which will be borne by the insurance company and here are the illnesses covered under such a policy:
• Kidney failure
• Organ transplantation
• Multiple sclerosis
• Heart attack
• Aorta Graft surgery
• Primary/pulmonary Arterial hypertension
Even though, these many diseases are covered under such a policy, it becomes important to understand the exemptions as well before purchasing such a policy for ensuring a tension-free life:
• Illnesses diagnosed within the first 90 days of beginning of the policy period
• Pre-existing illness during policy purchase that was incepted
• Illnesses caused due to use of tobacco, smoking or alcohol use.
• Those caused due to internal or external congenital disorders.
• Critical conditions due to childbirth or cesarean
• Illness caused due to war, navy or military operations
Companies offering such policies:
Some general insurance companies like Apollo Munich, Max Bupa, HDFC Ergo, ICICI Lombard and Bajaj Alliance offer such type of coverage.
What to look for before purchasing?
Before purchasing such a policy, it is recommended that an individual should carefully look at the details about the illnesses covered by the policy. It is better to opt for the one that provides coverage to the maximum number of frequently occurring illnesses and it should be remembered that this type of coverage should be renewed every year for reaping the benefits thereof.