Pregnancies have great significance in the life of a woman. Therefore a perfect Dietary regimen during this period is one of the most essential aspects which should be taken under great care and attention from her family and doctor. The growth of the baby in mother’s womb solely depends upon the health and nutrition of the mother.
Ayurveda our ancient medical science prescribes some set of rules which are very important during pregnancy. It contains a power packed details related to ahara [nutrition], vihara [lifestyle] and vichara [thought process] which pregnant women have to follow.
A perfect pregnancy diet is mentioned under garbhini paricharya in ayurveda. A diet of a normal person is divided into 3 categories: Satvik, rajasic and tamsic.
- Satvik food is fresh, nutritious fruits and vegetables and milk;
- Rajasic diet is energetic;
- Tamsic diet is somewhat heavy and dull.
Of all these, satvik food is the best ayurvedic diet during pregnancy.
Therefore for a healthy pregnancy Ayurveda considers milk as an ideal constituent as it a rich source of nutrients (calcium, potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A, D, B12, riboflavin and niacin) and protein which consist of anabolic properties essential for the growth of the foetus and also impart strength to the mother.
Month-wise regime [during pregnancy]
- First month : At early pregnancy pregnant woman should take herbal supplement supplements like khajoor, draksha, manooka, and vidari with milk [cold/room temperature] in the morning. Along with this mother should take plenty of liquids as well as fruits with a high juice content, coconut water, lemon juice, and citrus fruit.
- Second and third month : In second and third months, milk medicated with life-building herbs which help in calming the nerves such as Shatavari or Asparagus, Yashtimadhu or Licorice and Brahmi, are prescribed along with honey and ghee.
- Fourth month : At fourth month medicated milk with herbs supplement which strengthen the uterine muscles and also nourishes the embryo such as Ashwagandha, Kraunch beej and Guduchi.
- Fifth month and sixth month : Milk with turmeric powder and a gentle massage(abhyang) with medicated oil in whole body is necessary at this time .
- Seventh month : Almost fetal growth is complete in 7th month due to which it increases in size. Medicated ghee is best supplement for the mother at this point. Patient may feel symptoms like burning sensation in chest region for this eat food in smaller quantities and frequently. Also, avoid drinking water immediately after a meal.
- Eighth month : Continue the meal as in seventh month and you can add rice prepared with milk in semi-solid form with ghee in your diet.
- Ninth month : A light and easily digestible food is adviced along with application of oil on the abdomen and genital areas. Take an oil enema in small quantities or castor oil with milk to help ease false labour pains. Intake of luke warm milk with kesar just before going to bed.
Besides all this milk contain more of saturated fat, eating too much fat can contribute to excess energy intake, leading to becoming overweight. So it’s very important to choose a right dairy product. So if you don’t want to put over weight you can choose semi-skimmed milk or skimmed milk.