What Is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease in which the mucus membrane in the lungs' bronchial passages becomes inflamed.As the irritated membrane swells and grows thicker, it narrows or shuts off the tiny airways in the lungs, resulting in coughing spells that may be accompanied by phlegm and breathlessness.
The disease comes in two forms: acute (lasting from one to three weeks) and chronic (lasting at least 3 months of the year for two
• Acute bronchitis is caused by the common cold virus and is accompanied with high fever
• Chronic bronchitis is caused due to airborne allergens like cigarette smoke and environment pollution. It is accompanied with chronic cough
• Difficulty in breathing
• Constant cough
• Pain in the chest
• Abdominal pain
• Nasal congestion due to excess phlegm
• Hoarse voice
Ayurveda Cure for Bronchitis:
In Ayurveda, Bronchitis is known as Shwasa Pranali Shoth. In bronchitis, the bronchial tubes which carry air to the lungs get inflamed. This disease is more prone to cold and damp climates. It is a serious variety of the Kasa Roga.
According to ayurveda Causes and symptoms:
Bronchitis is mainly caused due to certain germs. Ayurveda believes that bronchitis begins with the impairment of the digestive system. Bronchitis can be cured to normal if the digestive process is cured to normal.
There are many prominent symptoms of bronchitis:
Bronchitis can occur as symptom of several other diseases like tuberculosis. The inflammation attacks the mucous membrane of the bronchi to which phlegm adheres and there is difficulty in expelling it. The phlegm when expelled is found to be viscid and purulent. However, due to tendency of viscid phlegm to stick to bronchi, a difficulty in breathing is felt and the lungs are starved of air.
• In acute cases of bronchitis, there will be rise in temperature
• Wheezing or whistling sound may be heard while breathing
• Continuous coughing may turn the face of patient blue
• constant cough
• pain in chest
• abdominal pain
• nasal congestion due to excess phlegm, hoarse voice and loss of appetite
• In chronic form it results in manifestation of tuberculosis.
Therefore, if no proper care is taken the disease gets chronic as it may deteriorate into bronchial asthma.
Chronic bronchitis may also be caused due to airborne allergens like cigarette smoke and environment pollution accompanied by chronic cough.
Natural home remedy:
• Take 1 glass of warm milk and Add ½ tsp of turmeric powder Mix well. It is more effective if taken on an empty stomach.
• The juice of vasa is also very beneficial for bronchitis. It can be taken twice or thrice daily.
• Ginger juice and honey mixed in a cup of warm water can also be taken which helps in the easy expectoration of the phlegm.
• Equal quantity of dried ginger, black pepper and long pepper should be mixed with honey and one tea spoon of this mixture should be taken thrice daily.
• Tulsi is also a great herb for bronchitis. Water boiled with tulsi leaves bring relief to the sore throat. This water can also be used as a gargle.
• Khadiradi Vati should be sucked as lozenge four to five times in a day which helps in getting relief from the congested throat.
• A decoction made of tulsi, black pepper and ginger in equal quantities should be taken three times a day.
• Take 5 cloves of garlic and pound them well. Now add this to 1 litre water and allow it to boil. Filter the water and give 1 teaspoon of it to children below 3 years every 3 hours. Give 1 tablespoon of this water every 3 hours to children above 3 years for good relief.
• Infuse spinach leaves in water and add little honey, ammonium chloride to it. Drink this to loosen mucus and reduce chest pain.
• Take some almonds and grind them well to form fine powder. Add little almond powder to 1 glass of orange juice. Mix them well and drink every night before going to bed.
Diet and other regimen:
• Sour substance, pickles and curd should be strictly avoided. Also cold items like cold drinks, ice creams should be avoided. Fruits like banana and guavas are contra indicated in this condition.
• Foods which are easy to digest should be preferred. Generous amount of green leafy vegetables should be included in the diet.
• Alcohol and tobacco should be avoided.
• Exposure to cold wind and rain should be avoided. Also one should avoid excess humidity, dust and allergic pollens. Heavy physical exercises should not be done.
• Proper posture and deep breathing exercises of yoga are proven to be beneficial.
• Practise meditation as it helps to strengthen lungs and helps to relax our mind and body.
• Eat nutritional food, do stress management, change your lifestyle and maintain a proper routine
• Alternate placing of hot and cold towels over chest helps to reduce chest pain and loosen mucus.
There are some well known ayurvedic preparations for bronchitis which have been prescribed since ages and have shown favorable results.
1)Shringyadi Churna: 2gm
Kaphachintamani :100gm to be taken three times daily.
2)Sitopaladi Churna: 2gm
Pravala Pisthi. :200mg
Rasa Sindur :100mg
to be taken with ghee three times in a day.
3)Talisadi Churna One tea spoon of talisadi churna mixed with ginger juice and honey should be taken three times in a day.
4)Haridra Khand One tea spoon of haridra khand should be taken with a cup of warm milk at night before going to bed.
5)Vasarishta 15 ml should be mixed with equal quantity of water and taken after meals twice daily.
Dr. Amit Adhana