Do you know that humor is highly infectious? Yes, even though it is infectious like diseases, it is a beneficial infection that can bring a wide range of health benefits. In the nature’s creation, only humans are provided with the gift of smile and laughter. Humor and laughter can play a major role towards making the immune system stronger, laughter can decrease pain, it can boost your energy and it can provide you a great relief from stress. Experts are of the opinion that this is a medicine for several disorders that come without having to pay any price and it is easy to use and funny as well. Laughter is good for health in the following ways:
• It provides relaxation to the entire body. Reports state that a good and hearty laugh can provide the best relief to stress and physical tension, thereby leaving the muscles relaxes for up to 45 minutes even after completing the humorous session.
• It can boost immune system by decreasing the stress hormone and increasing the infection-fighting hormones called as antibodies, thereby improving the resistance to diseases
• It has the ability to trigger the release of endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals in the human body. It can also provide temporary relief to pain and promote an overall wellbeing.
• Laughter can play a major role towards improving the functioning of blood vessels and can increase the flow of blood. This in turn will help in safeguarding against heart attack and other heart-related issues.
Benefits of laughter:
Here are the details about the physical, mental and social benefits of laughter:
Physical health benefits:
• Helps in prevention of heart diseases
• Provides relaxation to muscles
• Helps towards pain reduction
• Helps in reducing stress hormones
• Helps in boosting immunity
Mental health benefits:
• It can help in enhancing resilience
• It can help in mood improvement
• Relieves stress
• Will help in bringing down fear and anxiety
• Adds joy and zest to life
• It will help in promotion of group bonding
• Helps in diffusing conflict
• Enhances teamwork
• Attracts others
• Strengthens relationship
Is there any link between laughter and mental health?
Psychiatrists are of the opinion that humor can play a major role towards improving mental health in individuals. Humor has the ability to make a change to the perspective and it can help individuals in seeing situations in a realistic and lesser threatening way. Psychiatrists are also of the opinion that a humorous perspective can help in creation of psychological distance, which will help in avoidance of overwhelming feeling.
Due to these benefits of laughter, nowadays, many health care providers are recommending laughter therapy to their patients. This wonderful therapy can relieve a wide range of problems and reports state that people, who laugh frequently live longer as against those who are stiff always. It can actually help people to get relieved of their mental worries and it is also recommended that to get good night sleep people should watch a comedy film before going to bed.