Gout or Hyperuricemia:
Gout is primarily associated with high Uric Acid levels in blood (Hyperuricemia) that causes joints pain or arthritic symptoms.
Ayurveda and Gout - The Healthy Joint - The Functional Integrity:Ayurveda considers 'Vata Dosha' as responsible for all movements, pressure forces and impulses. Rakta Dhatu represents blood and associated metabolism.
The Ayurvedic term for Gout is Vata-Rakta. It signifies the association of Vata disorder (joint pain) along with vitiated Pitta dosha and Rakta Dhatu
The understanding of modern medicine and Ayurveda is almost similar when considering the Gout or Hyperuriceamia. They diverge on the point of treatment and management of this disorder.
You don't find Uric Acid or Hyperuricemia in ancient Ayurveda. However, you can find almost close or better presentation of symptoms that still are characteristic of Gout. Further, the name Vata-Rakta is self-explanatory from Ayurvedic point of view and gives hint toward its Ayurvedic treatment and management.
What is Uric Acid?
Uric Acid is a by product of the cells’ death process in the body and it is must to eliminate this ‘toxin’ out through urine or pass it to intestine to regulate a ‘normal’ level in the body.
Normally, Uric Acid Levels should be 6.0 mg/dL or below. ‘Hyperuricemia’ or a high level of Uric Acid in the blood stream is a toxic condition, in which, crystals of excess uric acid gets deposited in joints and other tissues causes pain and inflammation.
Having high uric acid in blood is a precursor to high blood pressure and increases the risk of heart disease.
Monitor Your Uric Acid Level
When you are tested for uric acid level are the ranges you are likely to see
People Group Normal Uric Acid Range
Men 3.1-7.0 mg/dL
Women 2.4-6.0 mg/dL
Children 2.0-5.5 mg/dL
- Pricking pain
- Burning sensation.
- Swollen joints
- Change of color of the skin
- Pain and redness in the small joints of the body
Home remedy for gout:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar, which is used to treat headaches and acid stomach, also helps treat gout and arthritis. The acidity in apple cider vinegar will help relieve acute pain. You can also add honey to the remedy to boost the body’s anti-inflammatory response.Mix one teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
Drink it two to three times daily.
- Ginger Root:
The anti-inflammatory properties present in ginger root can be very helpful in relieving pain and inflammation.
There are many ways to use ginger root in the treatment of gout:
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger root powder (sonth). Have one teaspoon of this mixture along with warm water. Take it twice daily.
- You can simply add ginger root in cooking recipes, or eat a small, raw piece of ginger root daily.
- You can also add one-half teaspoon of ginger root to one cup of boiling water and mix it well. Drink this solution at least once daily.
- Another option is to make a paste of ginger root with a little water and apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for about half an hour. Do this once daily.
- 3. Baking Soda:
One significant factor contributing to gout is an increase of uric acid in the body. Baking soda can help lower the amount of uric acid, giving you relief from the pain.Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Lemon Juice:
To get relief from gout pain, it is essential to alkalize the body and neutralize the excess uric acid in blood stream. This can be done easily with fresh lemon juice and baking soda. Along with lemon juice, also eat other fruits rich in vitamin C to strengthen the body tissues.
Cherries, whether sweet or sour, can also be very helpful in treating gout due to their antioxidant properties. Cherries also contain anthocyanins, which can reduce inflammation as well as minimize gout flare-ups. For gout patients, eating 15 to 20 cherries a day is highly recommended. For better results, start your day with some cherries.
Another option is to drink a glass of black cherry juice daily. You can also add a few minced garlic cloves in it.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice :
- Avoid high-protein diet and excessive salt.
- Avoid all sour, pungent, fried foods, red meat, alcohol and tobacco.
- Take light and easily digestible food like steamed or boiled vegetables or vegetable broth.
- Use wholegrain bread, cereals and increase intake of seasonal fruits (except banana).
- Increase the use of garlic, ginger, cumin, fennel, coriander, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Avoid dairy products, especially yogurt.
- Do light and gentle exercises.
- Massage the joints gently with lukewarm sesame oil for 20-30 minutes.
- Avoid damp and cold places and keep the body warm.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily to cleanse toxins from the body.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS:
Protein diet restricted, vegetarian diet, plenty of fluids should be taken.
The following ayurvedic medicines are helpful in treating the problem of gout:
- Vat raktantak ras -1bd
- Kaishor gu or panch thikit ghrit gu. – 2 bd
- Mahamanjishadi kwath – 4 tsp + ½ cup of water(twice a day after meal)
- Chopchiniadi churna + guduchi satwa – ½ tsp twice a day
- Patoladi quath – 2 tsp twice a day (after meal)
- Punarnavadi – 2 bd
- Shallaki – 2 bd