Tulsi in Ayurveda is known for its diverse healing properties besides this it is being worshiped in Hindu religion from thousands of years. Tulsi plant is undoubtedly one of the best miraculous and medicinal herb that has been discovered till know. Anti-oxidant property along with many other vitamins, minerals and oils present in it protect the body from infection and chronic disease therefore it is widely used in ayurvedic medicines. Its leaves and flower has property to fight different disease.
Scientific name-Ocimum Sanctum
Other name- holy basil, tulsi, thulsi, Manjari, Krishna Tulsi, Trittavu.
Tulsi is an herb attaining height 75-90 cm. It had a round leaves, purple-creamish flower with flat brown or black seeds. Tulsi widely grow in tropical and warm region. Its seeds are mainly sown in spring seasons.
BENEFITS OF TULSI:
The Tulsi is the effective remedy for the severe acute/chronic Respiratory infection. Tulsi had an expectorant property therefore Juice/decoctation of its leaves gives relief in cold and flu, fever, asthma and bronchitis. Essential oil extracted from this plant act as highly antibiotic, disinfectant, antibacterial and antifungal therefore this oil is used against insect’s bites, skin related disorder and in ear-eye drops. Camphene present in Tulsi gives a soothing, cooling effect. It is widely used in malarial parasitic fever. It is also used in renal disorder because of its mild diuretics and detoxifier property. It also reduces uric acids. Tulsi contains a acetic acid which is used to flush out the renal stone. Tulsi is mainly taken as herbal tea. Camphene, Eugenol, Cineol, Carvacrol and Methyl-Chavicol present in Tulsi make it an excellent analgesic, sedative, anticongestive and disinfectant. Vitamin-C and other antioxidants present in it reduce the stress. It is beneficial in reducing labour pain, prevents cardiovascular disease destroying rabies germs, boost up the immunity, treating gastroenteritis, cholera, whooping cough, measles, mumps, rheumatism, nausea, septic, urinary and genital infections, destroying worms in the stomach.
HOW TO USE TULSI:
- Common Cold and sore throat: to get rid of cold and flu take 5 leaves of Tulsi wash them properly and chew them empty stomach early morning continue the process for 1 week. In case of sore throat you can boil the leaves in 1 glass water and use it for gargling. Tulsi leaves also fight against infection and brings down the fever. Decoctation of Tulsi leaves can be used by the patients who are suffering from asthma and bronchitis.
- Eye problems: vitamins present in Tulsi helps to improve your vision. A regular intake of basil juice can get you rid of from eyes diseases. You can also used Tulsi made eye drops.
- Headache: in case of Headache a paste of the basil leaves and sandalwood or coconut oil can help you to relax. Headache due to sinus pressure, migraines or high blood pressure can be controlled by the use of a Tulsi serving.
- Dental problem: You can make a homemade Tulsi paste to get rid of dental problems such as pyorrhoea etc. Just take dry powder of basil leaves and mix it with mustard oil to make a paste, then regular brush your teeth with this paste.
- Skin disorder: An external application of fresh Tulsi leaves powder paste is used in acne and pimples as it removes the extra oil presents in skin. Its paste along with gomutra is used in different dermatology problems such as leucoderma, eczema, psoriasis and many others. The pastes of its root are used in insect bites.
- Kidney stone: A mixture of honey and basil leaves juice help to flush out the renal stone through urine.
- Reduces stress: Nowadays, stressful life can be relaxed just by taking12 leaves of basil on a daily basis it work as an anti-stress agent.
Prepared by: Dr. Shivani Amola