The liquid substance we perhaps don’t care for / do not much know its importance is Saliva----part 1
  • Home
  • Health Facts
  • The liquid substance we perhaps don’t care for / do not much know its importance is Saliva----part 1

The liquid substance we perhaps don’t care for / do not much know its importance is Saliva----part 1

Let us know about the importance of Saliva, the liquid substance we perhaps don’t care for----part 1

Saliva

It is a watery substance remains in the mouths of animals, including “social animals”, i.e. human being. Saliva is created by the salivary glands. But saliva is much more than water. Briefly speaking saliva contains 60 important components. That is why water or artificial saliva cannot match with natural saliva.

Components of saliva

The human saliva consists of 99.5 per cent water; the remaining 0.5 per cent is the other substances, such as antibacterial compounds like lysozyme and IgA, electrolytes, enzymes, mucus, glycoproteins.

The potent properties available in the saliva are protective, antimicrobial, digestive, coating, antiacid, homeostatic properties and lubricative elements.

Importance of enzymes in saliva

To begin the process of digestion of fats and dietary starches, enzymes are very essentials. For protecting our teeth from bacterial decay and breaking down the food particles which remain trapped within our dental crevices, the roles of these enzymes are equally important. Other than this, the initiation of swallowing, wetting food, lubricative functions and protecting the mucosal surfaces within the oral cavity are also done by these enzymes.

Contribution of saliva in the human body

Other than digestion food, saliva contributes to the maintenance of oral hygiene. The absence of saliva will significantly create oral hygiene problems, gingivitis or gum diseases, and dental caries.

i) Lubricating service

Our oral mucosa is protected from trauma by saliva at the time of eating, speaking and swallowing in a mechanical way. Those, who have saliva deficiency or xerostomia, suffer from mouth soreness.

You must also Read:
How Physiotherapy is Beneficial for Back Pain
How Swimming Exercises is The Best for Our Health?
Dehydration In Adults - Some Facts To Know
These people cannot manage chewing dry-fruits type of sticky things.

ii) Digestion

Moistening of food is one of the digestive functions of saliva. It also creates bolus and allows them to pass from our mouth through esophagus. Enzyme amylase or ptyalin is also another component of saliva. This component is helpful in breaking down starch into simpler sugars from starch and which are further broken down in the small intestine.

30 % of the digestion gets over within the mouth cavity. Salivary lipase is also secreted by salivary gland. Salivary lipase’s role is to begin to digest fat, especially for the new born, till the time their pancreatic lipase gets fully developed.

iii) Antimicrobial function

A non-specific immunologic action (e.g. lysozyme, myeloperoxidase and lactoferrin) and a specific (immunoglobulin, e.g. IgA) and a mechanical cleansing action are done by saliva

Stimulation factor

Saliva production is orchestrated by two factors: 1) parasympathetic nervous system and 2) sympathetic nervous system

Sympathetic nervous system:

Innervation of sympathetic stimulation produces thicker saliva. This saliva facilitates respiration.

Both sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous stimulation can cause contraction in myoepitheilium that leads to secretion in to the ducts and ultimately to the oral cavity.

Parasympathetic nervous system

The parasympathetic stimulation produces more watery saliva. This saliva facilitates digestion. Acetylcholine (ACh) is released onto salivary acinar cells by this type of stimulation, causing an enhanced intracellular calcium ion concentration. The enhanced calcium cells to fuse secretion. The system acts upon capillaries of the salivary glands and as a result, the blood vessels flow more blood to the acini, resulting to increased production of saliva.

Production of saliva (in human being)

Normally a human being produces 1.5 liters of saliva per day. The saliva production is typically done through diurnal circadian rhythm. The peak hour of producing saliva is in the mid-morning. The production gets decreased during day time and again picks up around early evening. The flow of saliva gets decreased at night. Several glands are involved in the production of saliva.

Daily production of saliva

It is a debated topic that how much saliva is produced in a day by a healthy person. It is estimated that between 0.75 to 1.5 litters of saliva is produced per day, but during sleep no saliva is produced. 75 % of human saliva is produced by submandibular gland while remaining 25 % is produced by parotid gland.

The normal quantity of saliva is sufficient for moisture and oral lubrication that assures comfort as well function for the individual.

The role of saliva is much more than only lubricating and moisturizing.

.

Below Articles may be helpful to you:
Be careful about monsoon season's darker sides
Surprising Causes Behind Constipation
Is Sugar Free Natura Healthy and Good for Health?

Ask our Counsellors


Comments

# Harikiran 2018-06-07
Hello I am from Rewari, My neighbour has been feeling redness and burning in urethral organs, can it be a disease, should she visit gynec?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Pooja 2018-06-08
It can be a simple infection also and a disease also, If after the examination, the presence of gram negative bacteria is seen ,gonorrhoea infection can be thought of, she should visit good women's specialist- find list of Gynecologist in Rewari
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Aarush 2018-03-22
Hello, plz tell me what are venereal diseases, can you plz suggest some good gynecologist in Khurda ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Vivaan Older than three months
Hello, plz let me know Can gonorrhoea be transmitted to small children, should I consult with good maternity doctor in Poonch
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Pooja Older than three months
yes,this can be transmitted by infected mothers to children, In this case it is called as ophthalmia neonatorum, find list of good doctor-.Obstetrician in Poonch
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Vivaan Older than three months
My friend has been diagnosed with gonorrhoea, Please tell which tests will be advisable, also suggest gynec in Mahendergarh ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Pooja Older than three months
VDRL tests should be done every month for 3 consecutive months for detecting syphilis as well as other sexually transmitted diseases,These tests should be conducted at proper times, find good Gynecologist in Mahendergarh
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Aarush Older than three months
Hi, plz let me know What is the incubation period of Syphilis, also give me the list of good female's specialist in Ujjain ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Naresh Older than three months
Hii, The incubation period can be 10 to 90 days, plz find list of Gynecologist in Ujjain
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Aayush Older than three months
Can gonorrhoea be caused by the infected towels, also provide the list of good gynecologist in ?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Naresh Older than three months
Gonorrhoea can be transmitted by the infected towels, handkerchiefs of the infected person, But most cases are due to sexual contacts, find here list of good Gynecologist in .
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Aayush Older than three months
Hello, plz let me know Can gonorrhoea be transmitted to small children, should I consult with good maternity doctor in Darrang
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
# Dr. Pooja Older than three months
yes,this can be transmitted by infected mothers to children, In this case it is called as ophthalmia neonatorum, find list of good doctor-.Obstetrician in Darrang
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote