Many of us experience some weird noises made by the stomach from time to time. Sometimes, these sounds can be highly embarrassing, particularly when we are seated in a group, where there is complete silence all of a sudden. So, have you ever thought why those weird noises come from your abdomen? Let us find some of the reasons for the same here:
When you are hungry and feel the urge to eat, just the notion, aroma or glimpse of the food will cause your digestive system to signal the brain in such a way that it will keep all the systems ready for the entry of food. This thought will cause the muscles that line the abdomen and intestines to begin moving and they will start releasing digestive fluids. These fluids begin to interact with the fermented gas and air floating inside the intestinal system. In most of the instances, these processes take place silently, but it does have the potential to play ‘borborygmi’, which is popularly known as ‘gastric symphony’.
Common reasons for noisy abdomen:
• Stress is stated as one of the most common reasons for such a weird noise from your abdomen.
• When there is abdominal restriction like tight belt of waistband, these noises may arise.
• Sometimes, body positioning, like lying down or on your side can also makes the noise louder.
• Consumption of food that contains sweeteners can increase intestinal gas like mannitol, xylitol and maltitol.
• When excessive air is swallowed due to smoking, chewing and quick eating.
• Drinking caffeinated beverages or carbonated drinks.
• Intolerance to foods like beans, milk and those with high fiber content.
• A new diet, particularly when it has lesser level of calories and is restrictive in nutritional values.
Should you seek medical help?
When you experience some changes in the noises made by your abdomen, it is better to have a record of your food habits for a week or two. Take a note of the foods and drinks you take and the foods that trigger the noises. Identify whether the noises are heard when you are lying down or sitting or walking. Also, take a note of the time of the day during which you hear the noise. For instance, identify whether it is caused before or after meals. In addition, take a note of your stress level and also identify symptoms like changes in your bowel movements and whether you experience some cramps or pain in your abdomen. If there are some changes, it is also important to visit your physician to find the reason behind the noise and the doctor may recommend an endoscopy or a colonoscopy.
To conclude, abdominal noises are nothing, but the noisy expression of what is actually happening in your digestive and intestinal system. But, if there are some changes in the pattern from the records you maintained for a week or two, you can seek the help of your physician. Some changes in your dietary habits can play a major role towards bringing down the weird noises made by your abdomen.