Suicide – Result of Depression
Suicide is self-harm and murder of oneself. Suicide is injustice to us. There are many reasons behind depression but only few leads to the case of suicide. No doubt it strongly related to depression. According to Who Report, 90% of people commit suicide because of mental health disorders (particularly depression and substance abuse. Now days it is common in every age group. It is found in survey that in every 40seconds one person is committing suicide.
International suicide statistics:
· Over one million people die by suicide worldwide each year.
· The global suicide rate is 16 per 100,000 populations.
· On average, one person dies by suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world.1.8% of worldwide deaths are suicides.
· Global suicide rates have increased 60% in the past 45 years.
Situation and feeling that leads to suicide:
· Failure in a love and relationship.
· Loss in job,
· Major disappointment (missed promotion at work, failed exams)
· Change in circumstances (divorce, retirement, separation, children leaving home)
· Mental disorder/illness
· Physical illness/injury
· Suicide of someone they know or recognise
· Financial/Legal problems
· Feeling trapped
· Irritable/moody, angry
· No sense of purpose/reason for living
Indication of Suicide:
Suicidal person might don’t ask for but they need help. Following will indication will be helpful.
· Previous suicide attempts
· Talking or writing about suicide, dying, or self-harm, such as "I wish I hadn't been born," "If I see you again..." and "I'd be better off dead." even in joke. Don’t ignore.
· Seeking access to some pills, knives and other thing that might be used in self-harm.
· Being moody, withdrawn or sad and feeling helplessness, hopelessness
· Saying unusual and unexpected goodbye/giving away possessions
· Losing interest in things they previously enjoyed.
· Taking less care of their appearance
· Anxiety or agitation, including difficulty concentrating or sleeping
· Engaging in self-destructive or risky behaviour
· Self-destruction behaviour like increased use of alcohol or drugs
· Withdrawal from other people especially from family and friends.
· Sometimes happiness after a period of depression may indicate the person has decided to take their own life, and feels relief that the decision has been made.
What you can do to prevent suicide
· Talk to person about situation that he is dealing with. Talking about problem can reduce the pain.
· Listen to them. Let them express their feeling completely.
· By saying “you are not alone and I am with you” you can help them to feel good.
· Plan with suicidal person how to get rid of situation.
· Promise them not to tell anyone.
· Talk about problem to family member and friends.
· Get professional help – If the situation not in control them get help from professional. Such as:-GP (doctor), Counsellor, psychologist, social worker, School Counsellor, Emergency Services 000,Community Health Centres, Crisis support services like Lifeline, Kids helpline.
Myth and Facts
Myth: People who talk about suicide won't really do it.
This is not true who talk about suicide won’t suicide. In Fact they are giving warning.
Myth: If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop them.
Depressed person confused in feeling of death and sadness. If they get help and guidance from others, they will definitely get solution and not commit suicide.
Myth: Talking about suicide may give someone the idea.
Discussing about suicide and its causes and reasons never give ideas about suicide instead it help.
Suicide – Result of Depression