If you’re in a battle with your obesity, and have already tried weight loss pills or crash diet with zero result then there is no need to disappoint or disheartening yourself because an ancient medical science “Ayurveda” is here to help you out.
Ayurveda combines drugs (medicines), diet regime, detoxification of body and exercise to provide along lasting result to the obese patient. This ancient technique target the exercise-resistant fat by igniting your digestive fire and focus on why your fat cells are getting bigger and gives you solutions that work for long term.
To get rid of obesity 3 things must be kept in mind:
1. Controlling eating habits.
2. Regular exercise.
3. Avoiding the causes of weight gain.
How to lose weight naturally-
1. Detox Tea: Ayurveda describes special detox tea known as “fanta” which burn stubborn fat, improve digestion, and purify internal channels by removing ama.
- Water- 5 cups
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
- In early morning boil 5 cup water and add these seeds, let it boil for 5 minutes. Then strain it and keep it in a thermos. Take small sips of it throughout the day.
2. Triphala: Triphala is an ancient herb contain-amla, haritki,and bibhitki.
You can find triphala in powder form or tablet form. You can also take triphala every night, one hour before bed, as part of your weight-management regimen. Or you can also take it as in decoctation form with some other herb -
- warm water-1cup.
- 1/2 tsp of triphala powder.
- 1 tsp unflavored, uncolored psyllium fiber.
- 1 tsp ground organic flaxseed.
In early morning boil 1cup of water and add these ingredient along with triphala, strain it and drink empty stomach.
3. Cabbage and tomato: Cabbage and tomato are best way to lose weight. Cabbage contains tartaric acid which prevents conversion of carbohydrates and sugar into fat. You can add cabbage in your salad and one or two ripe tomatoes instead of breakfast, for one-two month it is the best way to lose weight.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar: Organic acids and enzyme present in this vinegar stimulates your metabolism and increase the rate at which body fat is burnt. You can add it in your diet gradually.
• At first Start by taking 1 cup of water with 1 tsp of ACV once a day. Than increase it gradually by 2 or 3 tsp of ACV and drink twice or thrice a day.
Caution - ACV is acidic in nature, so one need to dilute it by adding water to protect your teeth, throat and the lining of your stomach. Don’t drink undiluted ACV.
5. Cranberry Juice: Cranberry juice is used to reduce belly fat as it is a rich source of organic acids like malic acid, citric acid, and quinic acid they act as digestive enzymes. These acids act as emulsifying agents on stubborn fat which you’re liver cannot process. Cranberry juice digests these lymphatic wastes and helps you reduce fat. So, drink cranberry juice.
• Just mix two tsp of cranberry juice to one cup of plain water and drink before your meal. You can take it twice or thrice a day.
Weight loss diet plan-
Irregular eating habits are one of the major causes of obesity. Here is diet plan for obese patient to reduce the excessive fat in body.
- Early morning- A luke warm water with honey (1 tsp) with lemon juice.
- Breakfast( medium-sized meal, between 7:30 and 9:00 am. )-Skimmed milk with mung/wheat beans sprout.
- Mid morning-A glass of mattha or fruit juice(orange, pineapple or carrot juice) or fresh fruits.
- Lunch (your largest meal, between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.)-Raw vegetables salad(as carrot, beet, cucumber, tomatoes). Steamed or boiled vegetables with a bowl of daal. Whole grain bread or whole wheat chapatis (Indian bread). Roasted cumin seeds with salt in the buttermilk.
- Mid-afternoon -Lemon tea, Fresh vegetable soup, lemon juice, or green tea.
- Dinner (your smallest meal, between 5:30 pm and 8:00 pm)- Steamed vegetables with chapattis or whole grain bread, a bowl of salad.
Ayurvedic tips for weight loss:
- Go to Bed Early: "Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a Man Healthy, Wealthy, and Thin?", Recent studies say that those who consistently go to bed late put on weight.
- Eat at Noon: Research says that wrong eating habits e.g. late at night, excessive eating and many other may lead to weight gain. Ayurveda suggests that the biggest meal should be taken at midday when the digestion is strongest.
- Improve Digestion: Poor digestion is one the commonest cause for weight gain.
- Avoid spicy, oil and packed foods.
- 45 min morning walk along with yoga asanas and stretching exercise.
- Avoid morning bed tea.
- Drink luke warm water with lemon and honey.
- Take fat free diet.
- 15 minutes walk after meal.
- Avoid rice, maida (refined wheat flour), dairy products, red meat, egg yolk and prawns.
Prepared by : Dr Shivani Amola