There are various home remedies for runny nose of your child. A runny nose is an extra drainage created by nasal and adjacent tissues and blood vessels in the nose. This drainage may vary from a clear fluid to thick mucus. Runny nose drainage may run out of your nose, down the back of your throat or both. A runny nose is also called “rhinorrhea” and “rhinitis". A runny nose is a very common problem in children. The reason for running nose is that when the children come in contact with an infected person. For solving this problem, the mother has some home remedies. The common causes of a runny nose are the common cold, sinus infection, an unexpected change in weather and allergic reaction. The treatment has been taken timely because if the runny nose treatment is not taken then the problem of coughing, earaches, headaches, etc. arises. The home remedies for runny nose are given below:
1. Salt Water:
Salt water is the best home remedy for runny nose. Salt water will help thin the mucus, making it easier and more easy to expel. It will also contribute to clear the nasal passages of the patient. For improving the condition of your child or loved ones you have to follow these steps:
- First, mix one-half teaspoon of table salt in two cups of distilled warm water.
- Then by using a dropper, put a few drops of the solution into each nostril.
- Then inhale very gently to draw the solution further into your nasal passages. Then blow your nose to remove excess mucus and solution.
- You have to do it form few times at a sitting until you feel relief.
- And repeat this for a couple of days until you will be all right.
Steam is also the best remedy comes under the category of home remedies for runny nose. It helps in clearing out the excess mucus that causes a runny nose.
- First, hold your face over a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head to take in the steam.
- Then breathe in the steam for about 10 minutes and blow your nose. Do this three or four time in a day.
- Before breathing in the steam, you can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol to the hot water.
- You can take a hot shower or bath also.
3. Mustard oil:
Mustard oil is also an effective home remedy for runny nose. It has an antibiotic, antiviral and antihistamine property which helps in treating runny nose.
- First, you have to heat a small amount of mustard oil until it is slightly warm.
- Then by using a dropper, put one or two drops of the oil in each nostril. This will help clear up the nasal passages.
- And do these two or three times in a day.
Turmeric is an effective home remedy for runny nose as well as cold. It is a herb which contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. You can take turmeric with oil, milk or water with black pepper as well according to your preference.
- In a cup of linseed oil put one-half teaspoon of dry turmeric. Hold the mixture over heat until it starts smoking.
- Then slowly inhale the smoke through one nostril and then the other. Do this twice daily.
- One-half teaspoon of turmeric powder can also be taken two times a day. You can take it with some water or with milk.
Ginger is a very common home remedy for runny nose. It has a wide range of antioxidants as well as antiviral, antitoxic, and antifungal properties. This treatment is very common in old peoples. It works like runny nose medicine.
- In a day chewing small pieces of raw ginger with salt.
- Make a ginger tea and add some honey into it. Then drink it three or four times in a day.
- Inhale the steam of ginger water.
Garlic is one of the best thing used as home remedies for runny nose. It has strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Boil three or four cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water for several minutes for preparing garlic soup and add some sugar into it. Drink this garlic soup twice a day.
- You have to chew a small piece of garlic three or four times a day to warm up your body and get relief from a runny nose.
7. Eucalyptus Oil:
Eucalyptus oil is also a wonderful thing come under home remedies for runny nose because it provides instant relief from a runny nose.
- Put seven drops of eucalyptus oil and four drops each of lavender oil and peppermint oil to a large bowl of warm water. Then cover your head with a towel and inhale the scented steam. Do this two or three time daily.
- You can also put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief and inhale it throughout the day.
Honey is a good home remedy for runny nose because it reduces symptoms of a runny nose. It is the runny nose remedy and has antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Put the one-half tablespoon of lemon juice, two tablespoons of honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder in a cup of and take this twice daily.
- Put two teaspoons of honey in a glass of warm water and drink this twice daily.
- In a glass of warm water, put one tablespoon of honey and three or four drops of fresh lemon juice and drink it while it is still warm, twice daily. Through this, your immune system will become strong.
Basil is one another thing come under the best home remedies for runny nose. It has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties because it provides heat to your body.
- Every morning before breakfast you have to chew three or four basil and before going to bed at night.
- To get rid of a runny nose as well as the common cold eat two to three basil leaves with a little jaggery two times a day.
Read more articles: