Mouth ulcers are small, painful ulcer which occurs on oral cavity they are also known as canker sore, stomatitis or apthous ulcer. Usually mouth ulcers are very common and harmless but they become extremely painful during eating, drinking, brushing and talking.
Some of the common causes of mouth ulcer indigestion, constipation, reduced intake of water, biting the cheek, stress, hormonal imbalance deficiency of vitamin B12, C, iron, bowel disease, food allergies, skin diseases, excessive intake of spicy-packed food, chocolates.
Symptoms of mouth ulcer includes painful lesion either in mouth, tongue, soft palate or inside the cheeks. These sores are round or oval in shape, white, red and yellow in colour. Tingling and burning sensation during intake of food. Uncomfortable during brushing, indigestion.
In ayurveda mouth ulcer are described under pittaj disorder as a mukhapakh which is caused due to aggravation of pittha dosha. Ayurveda prescribes number of herbal remedies for mouth ulcer which can be easily added to our day to day activities.
Home remedy for mouth ulcer:
• To suppress this aggravated pittha dosha you need to increase the intake of water (lime juice, coconut water, fruit juice, buttermilk, water melon sweet limes) as it has ability to wash the toxins from the body and relieves constipation.
• Honey is known to be best remedy for mouth ulcer as it decrease the swelling and heals the inflamed tissue. You can use it for gargling thrice a day or you can apply it directly through tip of finger on the burning ulcer.
• Take a glass of milk add some mint leafs, 1 tsp of coriander seeds, sugar and boil. Take this twice a day to get rid of mouth ulcer.
• Apply amla powder along with honey on the ulcer.
• Start chewing Liquorice (mulathi) as it most beneficial herb in healing the sores. You can also take it with Luke warm water or as a decoction.
• Start chewing the tender guava and mango leaves; you can also use its decoction.
• Apply peppermint oil with glycerine on mouth ulcer.
• Decoction made with dry ginger, indrayan roots, banphasha, kutaki, and Giloy.
• Decoction with triphala, daruhaldi, and thymol seeds with honey.
• Avoid hot or spicy food, coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco or food items which aggrevates the pittha dosha..
• Gandusha dharana with thriphala kwatha and Oil pulling with neem oil give ends to your recurrent mouth ulcer.
• Khadiradhi Vati is drug of choice for stomatitis.
• 25 mg praval pishti and 125 mg swarna makshik bhasm with honey twice a day.
Prepared by : Dr Shivani Amola