Benign prostatic hyperplasia(BPH) :
It is an enlarged prostate gland. The prostate gland surrounds the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder out of the body. As the prostate gets bigger, it may squeeze or partly block the urethra. This often causes problems with urinating.In Ayurveda, prostate gland is compared with ASTHEELA.
As per auyurvedic science after a particular age this astheela is vitiated by vayu and specially apan vayu which lead to the condition called vataashteela (or benign prostate hypertrophy).
The prostate gland enlarges in all men as age advances. BPH is very common and affects one third of men who are over 50.
Causes of BPH :
According to present medical concepts the actual cause of prostate enlargement is unknown.
But the causes of BPH are very well explained in ayurveda which is based on tridosha theory.
The causes of vataashteela or BPH are explained as follows.Causes for Vataashteela According to Dosha
Theory Vataashteela is caused by vitiated vayu and apaana vayu ( a subcategory of Vayu). (Apaana Vayu is located in two testicles, urinary bladder, phallus, umbilicus, thighs, groins, anus and colon. Functions of apana vaayu are Ejaculation of semen, voiding of urine, stools, elimination of menstrual blood and expulsion of fetus.)
• The vitiation of vayu and apaana vayu is caused by Controlling the urge of urination.
• Controlling the urge of defecation
• Over indulgence in sex.Consuming dry, very cold and less quantity of food
• Old age
• General weakness Indigestion
• Physical and mental overexertion.
Symptom of BPH:
• A need to pass urine frequently
• Pain And burning sensation
• Dfficulty in stopping and starting urination (hesitancy)
• Blood in the urine
• A weak urine flow
• Night time wakening to empty the bladder
• A constant feeling that the bladder isn’t completely empty.
• Urine- Routine and microscopic.
• Routine blood tests include- CBC and LFT
Abnormal LFTs may indicate other disease. Isolated elevation of alkaline.
• Prostate specific antigen
PSA is elevated with a large, benign prostate. A combination of clinical examination and PSA levels may be a better way of attempting to differentiate between a benign and malignant prostate.
• A digital rectal examination, which lets your doctor feel the size of your prostate.
• USG - Ultrasound give us accurate measurement of enlarge prostate .
Ayurvedic Treatment :
Ayurvedic medicines along with healthy food habits and lifestyle give very good results provided the patient starts the treatment after knowing the problem.Lifestyle & diet for better & long lasting results:
• Avoid/ reduce alcohol (specifically beer)coffee, tea, and spicy foods consumption & smoking, prefer moderation in sexual activity.
• Brisk walk of 30 - 60 minutes, morning & evening or atleast once.
• Spread out your fluid intake throughout the day. Do not let the bladder get too full. Don’t drink liquids too close to bed-time.
• Urinate as soon as the urge arises. Take time to urinate when it is convenient even if there is no urge.
• Avoid cold and sinus medications as decongestants and antihistamines can worsen BPH symptoms.Reduce stress
Diet to improve BPH
• Vegetables: beetroot, cabbage, onion, radishes, spinach and tomatoes (lycopene).
• Nuts, Grains & Seeds: barley, oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, wheatbran/germ, wholegrain cereals
• fruits: bananas, coconut,dates, strawberries.
Classical Ayurveda medicines patient has to select few according to his symptoms
1. Gokshuradi Guggulu – 2 twice a day
2. Varunadhi Kwath - works well on hard/enlarged things
3. Chandra Prabhabati- 2 twice a day, good for basic urinary problems
4. Kanchanara Guggulu - balances glands functions
5. Gokshuradhi Bati - Acts on urinary system
6. Shilajit capsules- twice a day or 1 daily
7. Yassad bhasma - 125 – 250 mg with honey - useful for BPH
8. Chitrakadi Bati - if gastric problem is present.
9. Other : Branded Ayurveda medicines (which are easy to select by patients), choose one brand/categery according to your BPH stage.
• Bangshil & Fortege (Alarsin) each 2 tablets 3 times 2-3 months
• Prostaid (Baidyanath) 1-2 tablets 2 times, 40-60 days
• Himplasia (Himalaya) 1-2 tablets 2 times, for 40 days, generally gives good results.
• Effectto capsules ( VASU) 1 tablets 3 times, for 8 weeks - gives good results.
• Prosteez (Charak) is more powerful branded Ayurveda medicine. 1-2 tablets, 2 times for 40 - 60 days.
Dr. Amit Adhana