Hives, also known as urticaria, are an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps, patches, or welts on the skin that appear suddenly -- either as a result of allergies, or for other reasons.
In ayurveda this condition is named as "Sheetapitta".Sheetapitta comprises of two words- sheeta and pitta.
Sheeta means cold and pitta refers to warmth. So, it is a condition caused due to the dominance of ‘cold’ (existing in vata and kapha dosha) over pitta dosha. This imbalance of dosha causes dushti of rahkt and ras dhatu.
Urticaria is classed as :
• Acute urticaria- which develops suddenly and lasts less than six weeks.Most cases last 24-48hours.
• Chronic urticaria- If it persists longer than six weeks.
If the cause for the urticaria is due to an impediment of the vata dosha- thus a pricking sensation is predominant, and this type of urticaria is called"Sheetpitta".
but when the cause is due to a disturbed kapha dosha-itching is the predominant symptom, and this type of urticaria is called"Udarda".
Impurities in the Rakta dhatu, are formed due to improperly induced emesis, and the resulting urticaria is called "kotha".
Vata and kapha are the two ‘doshas’, that are primarly disturbed in this disease. In combination with pitta, they create redness, swelling, and itching on the skin.
1.Excess intake of salty (lavana) and pungent (katu) food
2.Consumption of large amount of sour gruels (arnala & shukta)
3.Excess intake of mustard(sarshapa sevana)
4.Exposure to cold wind (sheeta maruta samsparsha)
5.Contact of cold substances (sheeta paneeya samsparsha)
6.Day sleep (Diwaswapna)
7.Improper emesis (asamyak vamana)
8.Altered features in winterand rainy season (shishira-varsha ritu viparyaya)
9.Insect bite (keeta damsha)
10.Krimi samsarga (contact of poisonous insects or bugs) etc
1.The skin marks resembling the bite of nettle sting (varatidamshtra vatashotha)
3.Pricking sensation (toda)
4.Nausea and vomiting (chardi, hrillasa)
6.Burning sensation (vidaha).
7. Thirst (pipasa)
11.Heaviness of the body/lethargy (anga gaurava)
12.Reddish discoloration of the eyes (Rakta lochanata).
Diet Regime For Urticaria
• Histamine occurs in food as a result of microbial enzymes converting the amino acid histidine (present in all proteins) to histamine.
• All foods subjected to microbial fermentation in the manufacturing process contain histamine.
• Included in this category are cheeses, fermented soy products, other fermented foods (e.g. sauerkraut), alcoholic beverages, and vinegars.
Line of treatment:
1.Body purificatory therapy(samshodhana)
2.Oral medications (shamanoushada)
3.Avoidance of causative factors (nidana parivarjana).
External application of medicated paste:
1.Paste of Doorva (Cynodon dactylon) and Haridra (Curcuma longa)
2.Fine paste of saindhava (rock salt), kushta (Saussaria lappa) and ghee.
3.Massage with the coconut oil helps to get relief of itching.
• According to the dosha dominance, Vamana (emesis), virechana (purgation) or rakta mokshana (blood letting) are carried with suitable medications.
• Ayurvedic Formulations are-
1. Haridra khanda -3gm thrice daily with water
2. Triphla churna -3gm thrice daily with water
3. Panch tikt ghrit guggul -500mg-twice a day.
4. Giloye satv 500mg- twice a day
5. Swarn Gairic - 5 gram, thrice daily with water/ honey
6. Arogyavardhani rasa - thrice daily with honey
7. Sut shekhar rasa - thrice daily with honey
8. Kaishore guggulu - 2 tab, twice daily.
9. Khadirarishta - 3tsf with equal amount of water twice a day after meals
10. Sarivadayasava- 3tsf with equal amount of water twice a day after meals
11. Rasa sindur - thrice daily with water
12. Nimbadi churana-3gm with water twice a day.
• Some Branded medicines for urticaria:
(1) Histantin( Kerala Ayurveda) - 2 tablets twice daily
(2) AllerinTablet (Ban) -1tablets twice daily
(3) UrtiplexCapsule (Charak Pharma)- 1 tablets twice daily
(4) Urtiplex AntiItch- Lotion (Charak Pharma) For local application
|Below Articles may be helpful to you:|
|Top 3 Home Remedies For Hypertension|
|How to cure Acidity by ayurveda?|
|Let us Cure migraine with ayurveda|