If you are nearing your 50s and just had a colonoscopy for ensuring that everything is working fine in your body, you have done a great job. This is one of the two things you can do to combat colorectal cancer. The other thing you will have to do is to follow a healthy lifestyle. It is good that your screening results are good, but you will have to do everything you can for bringing down the chances of developing colon cancer. Here are 6 things you can do for prevention of this disease and also for ensuring your overall health:
1. Keep moving: Remember that maintaining a healthy weight and moving regularly, both for exercise purpose and for completion of your daily activities can go a long way in preventing colorectal cancer. You can consider walking 10,000 steps about 4-5 miles on a daily basis or even you can choose to work out for 30 minutes every day. Here, moderate exercises regularly will help you and the exercise session should help you increase your heart rate and break a sweat. This can be done for five days a week initially.
2. Diet with fruits, vegetables and whole grains: A diet that is rich in these foods and particularly those that are of bright colors can help you. Even though, the actual reason behind these foods preventing colorectal cancer is not known, it is believed that their rich fiber content plays an important role in this regard. Also, when you are increasing the intake of fiber-based foods, it is important to drink plenty of water as well.
3. Rely on sources of good bacteria: Experts are of the opinion that yogurt and other foods with active cultures of bacteria will help a long way in improving digestion and in strengthening the immune system. Even, fermented foods are known to contain good bacteria called as probiotics.
4. Restrict intake of saturated fats and salt: It is better to reduce the intake of salt-cured, smoked and fried red meat and other related stuff. Even, it is better to keep away from other foods rich in saturated fats and salt like pizza and cheese. On the other hand, you can opt for foods that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
5. Go easy on the alcohol: Reports state that taking more than 3 glasses of alcohol per day can bring about a negative effective on the metabolism process of a number of nutrients that will help in prevention of colorectal cancer. It is better to restrict alcohol consumption.
6. Tobacco should be avoided: Even though, it can increase the chances of getting any type of cancer, tobacco is known to be the major cause for colorectal cancer. It is estimated that about 12% of deaths from colorectal cancer in the US alone were due to tobacco use.
So, the point to remember is that healthy lifestyle can play an important role in prevention of colorectal cancer, which is stated to be the second leading cause of deaths in the United States.