Edema, which is otherwise called as oedema, hydropsy or dropsy denotes a condition, wherein tissues in the body accumulate fluid, thereby creating a swelling. Even though, it can occur in any part of the body, it is common in feet, legs, ankles and hands.
Signs of edema:
Some of the common signs of this issue include:
• Dimpling of the skin after pressing for a few seconds
• Shiny or stretched skin
What causes edema?
When it comes to mild edema, it may be the outcome of staying or sitting in the same position for long. Some of the factors contributing towards this swelling include pregnancy, premenstrual syndrome, insect bites, malnutrition, high salt intake and surgical procedures. Sometimes, it can be caused as a side-effect of medications, particularly those taken for high BP, diabetes, inflammation, estrogen and steroid drugs can also lead to this condition.
Sometimes, it can be a sign of serious health issues like allergic reactions, venous insufficiency, deep vein thrombosis, thyroid issue, arthritis, cancer, cirrhosis, kidney diseases and even cognitive heart failure.
Some factors can increase the chances of an individual getting edema and they are:
• Past surgeries involving removal of lymph nodes
• Sedentary lifestyle
• Excessive alcohol consumption
• Kidney diseases
Even though, this is not harmful by itself, it can be a sign of an underlying condition, so it is better to seek medical help. However, regardless of the cause behind edema, you can get relief by following some simple home remedies:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: This is a popular home remedy for bringing down the symptoms of edema. As this home cure is high in potassium content, it can stock up the potassium levels in the body, thereby reversing fluid retention. Furthermore, its anti-inflammatory properties can play a major role towards bringing down swelling and pain. All you have to do is to add a spoon of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and you can drink it two times a day. You can also soak a towel in the equal mixture of water and apple cider vinegar and dip a towel into this liquid and can wrap it in the affected area. When this is done for a few times, you can get relief.
2. Epsom salt bath: This home cure can help in bringing down the inflammation, swelling and pain caused by edema. It can help in removing toxins and fluid content from the body. You can take a bucket of warm water for bathing and can add some Epsom salt to it. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and when you take this type of bath for 3 times a week, you can get the required relief.
3. Tea tree oil: This can be caused due to the edema caused due to insect stings and bites. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of this home cure can help in bringing down pain and swelling. Just add few drops of this oil on a cotton swab and apply it in the affected area. Just wait for a few minutes before rinsing off with warm water. Repeat the same process as needed.