With the passing of each day, diabetes patients are also growing in number. In addition to taking medicines for lifelong, it is recommended that patients should bring some lifestyle changes to keep the blood sugar level under check. It is recommended that patients should follow proper mental peace, regular workouts and proper diet to keep the debilitating health issue under check. Here are some ways that the patients can follow when they wish to live well in spite of having diabetes:
General food guidelines:
Generally, for diagnosing blood sugar level, blood is drawn pre and post food consumption. The reason is that there will be differences in the blood sugar level after food consumption and before. Generally, after food consumption, the blood sugar level will increase. When this is the case of normal foods, diabetes patients should be highly careful about sweet foods. One of the important things to consider when taking food is to fill the stomach with lesser carbohydrates. It is recommended that these patients should avoid foods like rice and other fat foods. When it comes to non-vegetarian foods, it is better to ensure that the quantity of foods that we consume does not give more than 20-30 percent of energy. It is also suggested that diabetes patients should divide the meal per day into five or six, rather than having 3 heavy meals.
• Fruits even though they are sweet in taste, they do not cause any sugar hike in diabetes patients and they can include fruits like apple, papaya and orange to their diet.
• Some fruits to avoid are sugar apple, sapodilla, mango and banana as they have higher sugar content and can cause sugar hike.
• Vegetables like curry leaves, bitter gourd, onion and garlic are suitable for diabetes patients
• It is also recommended that foods these patients take should have at least 30-40 grams of fiber content. The level of salt per day should be reduced to 6-8 grams per day. This quantity is highly recommended for patients with both diabetes and blood pressure. Reports state that controlling blood pressure level will have direct impact on keeping blood sugar level under check.
• When it comes to oil usage, it is recommended that diabetes patients can use 30% of sunflower oil and 70% of groundnut oil.
• In addition to all these, eating less and eating on time are highly important.
When the diet control is not coupled with appropriate exercise regime, it will go in vain. When every healthy individual is recommended to do half an hour of exercise per day, it is more so important in the case of patients with diabetes. Brisk walking every day will help. If possible, aerobics can also be done by these patients. Games like swimming, playing tennis and badminton will also be good for diabetes patients. In the case of those patients with kidney and heart problems, it is better to take medical help for physical activities to be included and foods to be taken every day.