Gums are generally overlooked part in the mouth and most of us tend to focus only on the teeth and overlook the pink flesh stuff that holds the dental line in place. Even though, at younger age, attention might not be needed for this part, as you get older, it is important that you should pay better attention to your gums to ensure the health of your teeth. A good dental hygiene should include gum care regime and the important point to remember is that you can improve your overall oral health by improving the health of your gums. Here are some top 5 useful tips to ensure gum health:
1. Use a fluoride based toothpaste: If you are already using fluoride-based toothpaste that is prescribed by your dentist, you can just keep trying out different flavors and textures available in the market. You can just make this change once in a year as there are chances that the new one can ensure better gum health as against the one that you presently use.
2. Rinse with fluoride: Just because your dental line is white, it does not mean that your mouth is free from any bacteria. In your dental hygiene regime, you should follow the habit of rinsing your mouth with a fluoride-based mouth wash on a regular basis. This will help in bringing down the level of bacteria in your mouth and it will also help in protecting your tooth from decay and other diseases.
3. Include vitamins in your diet: To ensure proper health of gums, it is important that you should get the essential nutrition. You cannot get the required nutrition from the daily food intake alone and adding multi-vitamin can help in supplementing your nutrition and improving your gum health.
4. Massaging can help: For ensuring your gum health stimulating them will be helpful. When this is done, blood circulation will improve and this can be done by massaging the gums when brushing your teeth. You can just brush your gums with soft bristles or you can use a water pick as well.
5. Regular flossing is important: Your dental hygiene should include flossing as an important part. It will help in removing debris from between the teeth and the gum surfaces. It will also help in stimulating the gums as well. When you do this regularly, you will learn how to floss gently without hurting your gums.
In addition to these tips, you should also remember that when there is a bleeding in your gums, it is better to seek medical help as it is a sign of unhealthy gums. Your dentist might prescribe you vitamin supplements to strengthen the gums and even a tooth paste might be suggested.
In addition, remember that you should plan a dentist visit at least once in a year to make sure that everything is fine in your oral line. This is because an unhealthy mouth can lead to several health issues and to ensure your overall health regular dental check up is important.