Reports state that more than 5-10% of women are affected by PCOS problem and some of the symptoms of this condition include infertility, acne, dark patches on thighs, breasts, arms and neck, high testosterone levels, high insulin levels, abnormal hair fall, unwanted hair growth, abdominal obesity and irregular menstrual cycles. Studies show that nearly 50% of overweight or obese women have this problem. If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned earlier, it is better to seek medical help. There is no need to worry about this issue as it can be cured completely and even when you are taking medications for this condition, only when you follow the right nutrition therapy you can get the intended relief.
What is this therapy all about?
This therapy is nothing, but taking the right foods and including healthy exercise regimen. When you follow the right diet, you can bring down the risk associated with patients with PCOS problem like endometrial cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Here is the recommendation on the foods to include and not to include in your diet:
• You can keep the insulin level in your body under check by taking fresh or canned/frozen fruits without sugar. The fresh vegetables should be non-starchy and some of the recommended veggies are carrots, broccoli and spinach.
• Rely on whole grain foods like whole wheat pasta, brown rice and whole wheat bread. When it comes to wheat, those with high fiber content like shredded wheat can be consumed. Go for cereals with a minimum of 5 grams of fiber per serving or sprinkle half a cup of bran cereal or unprocessed bran on a low-fiber cereal for increasing the fiber content.
• Go for sugar-free or drinks with low sugar content like diet soda, water or seltzer water.
• Even in foods, go for sugar-free or low-sugar foods like yoghurt and pudding.
• When you wish to snack, opt for crackers and snack rich in fiber content like popcorn
• Reducing the salt consumption in your diet will help
• Take protein based foods like seeds, nuts, dairy products, poultry, lean meats and fish.
Some don’ts to follow:
• Do not consume oil based foods like potato chips
• Do not consume sugary foods like candy, cakes and cookies
• Do not take sugary drinks like soda or juice
• Do not take too much of refined grains like white rice, bagels, pasta and white bread
• Do not take too much of scratchy vegetables like peas, corn and potatoes
Apart from these things, you should also be careful to make sure that your weight is brought down. Along with eating as per the recommendations given above, do not forget to include exercise in your day-to-day activities. Weight gain is the biggest enemy for patients with PCOS problem as it can lead to many health issues. Losing weight will help in regulation of your menstrual cycle and do not hesitate to take medical help to get out of this issue.