CORN INFORMATION, NUTRIENTS, BENEFITS
Let Us Learn What Is Corn:
- Corn popularly known as maize is a grain plant.
- This plant is known to have its origin in Southern Mexico.
- The seeds or kernels of this grain hold the most nutrients, and so people consume them commonly.
- Based on the area of their growth, corn comes in different colours. The shade differs based on the field of growth and the species or variety they belong.
- There is another variant of corn called sweet corn. It is rich in sugar content and less in starch content to regular corns.
- Now, you know corn meaning. But, do you know that it surpasses the total rice or wheat production in many parts of the world?
- Yes, the reason for this is that corn is the staple food in many countries.
- Now, you know what is corn, but you might not know that not all corn produced from around the world are suitable for the human consumption.
- Yes, farmers use some of them for feeding animals, corn ethanol and other maize product manufacturing like corn syrup and corn starch.
- You know what is maize, but you should know that there are different types of corns.
- In case, you are planning to plant corn; you should know that corn plants are picky about their soil. You should let them overwinter in the land and should compost them before the fall.
- Starting corn seed indoor is not recommended. It is better to plant the seeds outdoors a couple of weeks after the frost date in the last spring.
- It is better to make sure that the temperature of the soil is about 60 degrees F to ensure successful germination.
- In the case of areas with cold climate, the ground can be warmed by a black plastic cover if the need arises for the same. You should plant the seeds through holes.
Ask our Counsellors