Nowadays, people, particularly young women are more concerned about their body image and many of them are working towards ‘size zero’, after gaining inspiration from their favorite celebrities. There are people, who are more concerned about staking their lives to achieve a ‘perfect figure’. But, many girls are doing this without any thought process. Before taking steps to bring down their weight, it is highly important that women need to find answer to certain questions like those mentioned below:
• What is it I am really running after? Is the ‘size zero’ important for me?
• Do I really know the benchmark of what I want to achieve?
• Is being skinny that much important in my life, so that I will have to take health risk in achieving it?
• Whether there is any misery deeply hiding against my goal of achieving such a figure?
Men and women falling under this category are called as anorexics. Here are some details to know about this disorder:
What is Anorexia?
Medically termed as anorexia nervosa is actually a disorder associated with eating and it is more of a complex psychological condition that exposes itself in the form of abnormalities in eating. This means that when the idea of looking thin overpowers the thought of an individual, the actions, particularly the eating habits will be more conscious and this condition is termed as anorexia.
Generally, this condition is characterized by:
• The denial of true image of oneself
• A non-agreement towards maintaining an ideal body weight
• A fear that is intense towards gaining weight.
It can occur both in men and women and it moves away the ability of an individual to think himself/herself of their original image. This means that the individual will become obsessive to the thought of being thin. Regardless of how thin the individual becomes, he/she will feel as if it is not enough. It will become a journey of chasing an illusion.
What lies deeper actually?
In anorexia patients, eating disorders are actually not running after achieving a thin figure, but they use this indefinable goal towards masking their underlying life issues like pressure, insecurity and depression on things that are actually not under their control. So, they take full control over their food habits like they do not eat when feeling hungry and forcibly cut down intake as they cannot take control of other things happening in their life.
Causes of anorexia:
• This condition can be caused due to genetics. For instance, if a girl has anorexia, it is more likely that her sibling can also get it.
• Stress created in childhood due to parents over-controlling to get their dreams come true through their son or daughter like becoming a model, shining in gymnastics, etc. Due to these reasons, they want their child to maintain a lean figure.
• It can also be caused due to stressful life situations
Men and women falling under the following categories are at the risk of getting anorexia:
• Those with dissatisfaction about their image
• Those under troubled relationship
• Those with low self-esteem and
• Those who want to be perfect in everything.