If your child is suffering from dehydration
It is not peculiar that any healthy kid will become dehydrated or sick in sometime. Sometimes parents may remain unknown about the fact that the child may be in need of emergency medical intervention.
There are different types of care for different illness of your child. They are as below:-
1) If not serious, you can handle problem at home in case your child has some cuts, coughs, rashes, bruises, scrapes. Some medicines over the counter can be your healing measures.
2) If you feel so that you are not in a position to take care of your child’s uneasiness or unwanted problem, call a doctor, who can be the best one to help you out.
3) If you notice that your child needs emergency medical intervention, take your child to a nearby emergency medical care centre. The problems like head trauma, seizures, severe bleeding, meningitis, dehydration, breathing difficulties and serious bacterial infections can be the situations when you need emergency hospitalisation.
4) In case the problem is so serious that you cannot take your child of your own, call for ambulance through emergency number.
Many times you may not judge whether the urgency is very severe and you need emergency services. Make sure that you remain well prepared for any type of emergencies for any of your family members. The problem with your child may be more important than any grown up or any adult.
Signs and Symptoms of Dehydration
· Doughy, dry, wrinkly, skin (especially on the upper arms, belly and legs)
· Sunken eyes
· Excessive sleepiness and decreased alertness or inactivity
· Dry mouth in extremity (looks "sticky" inside)
· Rapid and deep breathing
· Sunken soft spot on the skull of the infant
· Hardly any urination at a stretch 10 or more hours in a child or 8 or more hours in an infant
· Weakened or rapid pulse
Mild to moderate:
Ø Rapid heart rate
Ø When crying, few or no tears at all
Ø A dry tongue
Ø For 6 hours or more no wetness in diaper in an infant
Ø No peeing or urination for more than 8 hours in a child
Ø In infant has fussiness
Steps to be taken
If your child has mild dehydration, you can treat your child at home. However, the condition is if the child has no vomiting but simple diarrhoea, you need to continue feeding the normal diet. But in case your child is vomiting, you need to stop solid foods and milk products. In this situation, oral electrolyte solution will be much effective because the solution can restore lost minerals and lost fluids. The quantity of the solution will be 1 table spoon with the intervals of 15 to 20 minutes. If your child is over 12 months old, you can give your child sips of clear fluids like ice chips, clear broth, oral electrolyte solution, flat non-caffeinated soda or ice pops.
Your dosages will be 15 to 20 minutes of intervals.
When you need emergency medical help?
You need emergency medical care if your child has any of the following symptoms
è Sign of problem of taking down clear fluids
è Sign of problem of severe dehydration
Preventions of the problem of dehydration among children
1> You must encourage your child to take small amounts of liquids during his or her illness, so that your child does not get dehydrated.
2> You must take care of washing hand so that chances of different types of illness become less.
3> Small amounts of fluids at regular intervals can prevent the problem of dehydration; it will rather help rehydration in your child.