Bones play an important role in the body and they provide structure to the organs and they are responsible for storing calcium and for anchoring muscles. The health of bones is highly important for ensuring proper growth and this is why it is recommended that the right steps should be taken to ensure the health of the bones right during childhood itself. However, adults too can take certain steps to ensure bone health.
Importance of bone health:
Generally, in the human body, the bones are continuously changing and old bones break down, wherein new bones grow. When people are younger, their body will be in a position to create new bones at a faster pace as compared to the process of breaking down old bones. Normally, the peak bone mass is achieved at the age of 30 years. Even after this age or after achieving the peak bone mass, whichever is earlier, the bone remodeling will continue to happen. But, the losing bone mass will be higher than the bone mass gained.
People get osteoporosis, which is a condition that causes the bones to become brittle and weak based on how much bone mass they attain by the time they reach the age of 30 years and the rate at which they lose it after that. This is why it is recommended that people should achieve the best bone mass before 30 years to avoid the chances of osteoporosis.
Factors affecting bone health:
Generally, the health of bone is decided by the following factors:
• The level of calcium content in the diet
• Physical activity
• Alcohol and tobacco use
• Age and gender
• Family history
• Hormone levels
• Some medicines
Now comes the tips to ensure bone health and men and women can follow the top 4 tips given below to achieve the best bone health:
1. Including plenty of calcium in diet: Generally, people between the age group of 19 and 50 regardless of their sex and for men between the age group of 51 and 70 years, the recommended Dietary Allowance of calcium intake is 1000 mg. This required allowance is 1200 mg for women after 50 years and men after 70 years. This is because women need more calcium content as compared to men due to their childbirth and menopause. Here, milk products, kale, broccoli, almonds and soy products can help men and women achieve the recommended level of calcium content. If it is difficult to get calcium from the foods, it is better to take some calcium supplements.
2. Attention to be paid to vitamin D: Vitamin D is important for the body to absorb calcium from the foods and supplements. For adults in the age group of 19 and 70 years, Vitamin D requirement is 600 International Units per day. This requirement is 800 in the case of those of more than 71 years. Some of the good sources of vitamin D include fortified milk, egg yolks and sunlight can also provide Vitamin D to the body.
3. Physical activity: Including physical activity in the daily routine will also help in ensuring bone health.
4. Substance abuse should be avoided: Smoking should be avoided and alcohol usage should be avoided.